Recipe Help Please? B/c For Petal Cake

Decorating By DanaNZ Updated 30 Mar 2015 , 3:08am by DanaNZ

DanaNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaNZ Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 5:40am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

Loving the new site format.  I'm having a few issues with the search function and my text deleting when I try to post (no doubt an issue at my end) so please excuse my request for a common topic.

I need a non crisco recipe for B/C to pipe a petal cake.   We can get crisco in NZ, I just don't have time to have it delivered.  I've tried to search on here and my system just isn't playing ball and google scared the fluff out of me.  The cake is a gift for a friend, and they're used to me experimenting on them.

Would someone be so kind as to either let me know, or post a link to the recipe, for buttercream suitable for a petal cake?  I haven't used SMBC yet but am happy to give it a go if it's most suitable.

Thanks so much

Dana  

2 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 7:32am
post #2 of 3

I make American butterceam without Crisco or any shortening at all if possible. Tastes less artificial. Just replace the Crisco with butter. You might need to add a bit more icing sugar if it's hot weather.

Or use smbc, my personal favorite, heat one part egg whites and two parts caster sugar on a double boiler until it reaches 71'C (160'F) stiring constantly to make sure the sugar gets dissolved. Cool to room temperature, beat until stiff peaks form, slowly add two to three parts soft unsalted butter on low until fully incorporated. Keep beating until nice and fluffy.

Both bcs can be flavored as desired.

I'm not following specific measurements. For American BC I just add icing sugar until I'm happy with the consistency, roughly one part butter and two parts icing sugar. For smbc: It's more stable with only two parts butter outside the fridge and with three parts butter if cake goes in the fridge and/ or you don't want the icing to be too sweet.

DanaNZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaNZ Posted 30 Mar 2015 , 3:08am
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your reply :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%