Helo With Construction...and Cake Separators Plz

Decorating By Scottishcakegal Updated 23 Mar 2015 , 8:30pm by -K8memphis

Scottishcakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Scottishcakegal Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:36am
post #1 of 6

floral cake found on youandyourwedding.co.uk

hi everyone, I am making this cake for my friend, and you know the pressure when it is someone you know and you will be at the wedding, I have some questions about it.

I have only stacked cakes as that is all my brides have asked for in 4 years lol this cake looks,to me, like 1 or 2 inch smaller boards are separating tiers as the polystyrene separators I have seen are a lot taller and may not give the right look. How would you construct this? I dowel all tiers except top and thought about doing the bottom two at home then the others at venue but how is it secure? Dowel through centre?

also, what size would you say these are? I thought 10,8,6,4"? I only need 80 portions.

lastly would you use same sized flowers of vary it? Thanks so much in advance

5 replies
Scottishcakegal Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:39am
post #2 of 6

Ok, typing with baby on your knee results in typos..... Title meant to be help not helo

Scottishcakegal Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 7:09pm
post #3 of 6

Anyone ?

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 6

It looks like 12, 10, 8, 6.  You need dowels under each cake that is staked.  Not sure what you mean dowel "except top".  You can take the cake in two pieces and stack at the venue.  I would dowel through the center definitely.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 6

8/10/12 = 118 so if you need 80 you probably just need 3 stacked tiers 6 / 8 / 10.  This would be for wedding portions.  If you want to provide party portions then the size cake in your picture will provide party portions.

Use this to calculate  http://capitalconfectioners.com/cakulator/cakulator.html

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 6

the flowers do vary in size i think -- the separations from the bottom up could be something like 4" smaller than the cake above it, then 3" smaller than the cake above it and 2" or 2.5" smaller than the cake above it -- you have to eyeball it a bit 

a 4-tier that will serve 84 is a 10x8x6x4 if you upped it one inch 11x9x7x5 you up the servings to 108 -- so there's that --

and you could combine the whole thing for delivery if you wanted -- it would not be too heavy for an average person to carry -- if you just secure each tier to the separations going up you would not need the pole up the middle -- i don't usually use one except for topsy turvy cakes -- but you sure could do the pole -- just be sure your separations have a pre drilled hole --

initially i thought 'helo' was another character i did not recognize --- hahahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%