Dense Cake

Baking By tudie123 Updated 3 Apr 2015 , 9:34pm by MBalaska

tudie123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tudie123 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 10

I made a Mexican Vanilla Wedding cake, test came, and the flavor was great but it was very sense. I would like it to be light and fluffy. How can I get it that way?

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 10

what was your recipe -- and also please list any changes you made to it -- like if it says 'butter' and you used margarine anything like that -- where it says 'milk' and you used cream

tudie123 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 10

Hope yall can help - I didn't change anything.  The flavor is really good, it's just too dense.  I think too heavy for a wedding cake.  Here is the recipe:

2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 5:24pm
post #4 of 10

i mean you could try doubling the baking powder and adding 2 more eggs but you could also add the cinnamon to any other cake recipe that already has the consistency you like and get a similar product --

for cakes that do not fold in whipped egg whites separately: 

i think we are too timid with the time we mix ingredients after everything has been added -- you need to make sure everything has been combined -- this is not pie crust - i mix my cakes on speed 4-5 for 2 times minutes after everything is in the well scraped mixer bowl

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 10

or add two additional egg whites rather than whole eggs

tudie123 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 5:58pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you for the tips.  I was thinking egg whites as well.  I'll keep testing.  Thanks again!!!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 10

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 hour ago

for cakes that do not fold in whipped egg whites separately: 

i think we are too timid with the time we mix ingredients after everything has been added -- you need to make sure everything has been combined -- this is not pie crust - i mix my cakes on speed 4-5 for 2 timed minutes after everything is in the well scraped mixer bowl

i meant two timed minutes - 2 mins on the timer

tudie123 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 10

I'll give it a try!!!

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 8:13pm
post #9 of 10

Use 3 cups cake flour instead of all purpose and up the baking powder to 3 tsp.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 10

I beat my butter & sugar on medium for 5 to 6 minutes until very very light & fluffy. 

and part of the charm &  magic of a homemade scratch cake is that it has delicious quality ingredients  without all of the assorted chemicals that make it like a ball of candy floss / cotton candy.

If you want to lighten it up a bit, using that recipe, mix in just the egg yolks into the recipe & then beat the whites separately with a tbsp. of granulated sugar until you get medium peaks, then gently fold the egg whites into the batter just before you put it in your pans.  It's extra work to do all of this, but it works well with that recipe that you posted.

and don't misunderstand, there are some cakes that should be light as an angel, and some that should be dense as mud.  You may learn to tell people that you made this cake from scratch, in your own kitchen, with fresh quality ingredients, with your own two hands, and it's the best cake that they will ever have the pleasure to eat.  with pride!!!

ps: I'm still an unabashed fan of Hersheys chocolate cupcakes, HoHo's, snowballs, & twinkies.  mmmmmmm nice & light. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%