Gotta Good Soup Recipe?

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 13 Apr 2015 , 12:54am by bubs1stbirthday

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 29

there's just the two of us plus the cat & dog but i love to make double batches of soup and freeze them in individual portions --

do you have a favorite soup recipe to share?

28 replies
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 29

i'll start -- my daughter gave me this one -- i ate it before i saw the recipe because i think the recipe reads like a train wreck -- i couldn't reconcile sweet potatoes, peppers and peanut butter ? then cilantro -- seriously ? but i fell in love and keep a supply on hand year round --

ridiculously delicious, inexpensive, filling, good protein, diet friendly -- i dare you to try it -- we double the jalapeno and i use molasses instead of brown sugar -- use any variety of bell peppers, red, green, orange, yellow...

i've been meaning to post this forever --

she calls it  'african peanut soup' but we re-named it "orange soup" 

olive oil

1 large onion

2 carrots

2 peppers (i use one red, one yellow)

2 cloves garlic

1 jalapeno

1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes

1 box vegetable stock

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces

pinch ground ginger

pinch ground cloves

cayenne (to taste?)

brown sugar (1-2 T, to taste)

2/3 c. peanut butter

1/2 bunch cilantro

Chop onions, carrots, peppers. In a large pot, saute onions first in olive oil for a few minutes, then add in carrots and saute, then peppers, then garlic. Add chopped jalapeno, along with diced tomatoes (with juices) and vegetable stock. Throw in sweet potatoes and let simmer for a while (probably about 20 minutes) until potatoes are soft. At this time you can also add in spices (ginger, cloves, cayenne, brown sugar).

When potatoes are soft, run soup through food processor (I used an immersion blender) until you reach desired consistency. Return soup to pot and stir in peanut butter. Let cook for about 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and cook for 5 more minutes. *and don't let this boil and pop up on you -- it's thick and burns like lava-- use the pot lid as a shield -- ENJOY

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 29

I love Ramen. I make a version of this: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/shoyu-ramen-51187270

Or if I'm feeling lazy, I just buy ramen noodles with flavor packets. But I always make Pork chasu and Ajitsuke Tamago. 

http://www.justonecookbook.com/recipes/homemade-chashu/

http://www.justonecookbook.com/recipes/ramen-egg/

-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 29

wow, cakewitch, that sounds amazing -- and so very different from anything i've made before -- i've had the individual ramen too but that pork makes my mouth water -- have to gather ingredients for this one -- wow THANK YOU

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 29

Campbell's.........go with Campbell's add water!!!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 29

mb -- ha!

progresso too --- good idea too much salt -- 

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 3:14am
post #7 of 29

I make a really good soup - - in fact, it's the only soup my DH will eat.  We call it Cowboy Soup.

1 lb. hamburger (or any finely chopped beef - - haven't tried it with pork or chicken)

1 potato, diced

1 15 oz. can corn, including liquid

1 15 oz. can ranch style beans, including liquid

Fry the potatoes and drain.  Brown and drain the hamburger, then add the other ingredients.  Bring to a boil and it's done.  Serve with a salad and hot cornbread.

This is a very forgiving recipe and you can adjust proportions any way you want.  I like to add onions, but hubby won't eat them so that doesn't happen very often.  It's great the next day and freezes very well.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 29

awesome, jgifford -- the ease of your recipe is also a great pairing with the complexity of cake witch's too -- perfect :)

plus the variations you could come up with -- very awesome -- thank you

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:06pm
post #9 of 29
Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 29

This is so good! I always dice the butternut sqaush instead of roasting it whole.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30466-roasted-butternut-squash-soup

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 29

thank you lizzie, a good one to sub in for the other sweet potato one -- yours makes sense coconut, sweet potato, onion spices plus i love the speedy prep -- thank you

this would be good with coconut shrimp

-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 29

krypto -- i love butternut squash then with apples & sage - oh yeah -- this is getting rough it's making me hungry and i just ate a giant salad -- drink more tea k8 drink more tea k8 -- hahahaha

this one would be good anytime but it reminds me of the holidays too i guess it's the sage -- we always have sage sausage stuffing --

thank you, krypto 

SkisandBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkisandBakes Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 3:01am
post #13 of 29

Keep it simple. You can never go wrong with split pea with ham or chicken noodle in my books. 

Freeze your chicken/turkey broth then add the veggies and noodles when you are ready to eat it so you don't end up with soggy noodle slop. 

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 5:55am
post #14 of 29

To  be clear, I only bake. There is only one savory dish I can cook, my grandmother's potato soup. I loved it so much, I made her show me how when I was a teenager. It's for potato soup. Not a lot of precise measurements, more/less to taste.

6-8 large potatoes boiled & mashed up slightly.

6 cans cream of mushroom, I also prefer to add fresh sliced mushroom

1 bunch chives with roots

1 bunch chopped celery

3-5 finely shredded carrots

entire pack of american cheese slices

1 pkg cream cheese.

salt, pepper & garlic to taste

Throw in a crockpot.

I always LOVED this soup

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 5:48pm
post #15 of 29

skisandbakes -- you are so right -- i haven't had split pea soup in eons -- good call and as for chicken noodle -- you are exactly right again about freezing things separate -- can't tell yah how much chicken soup with broth and noodles i've put into the fridge only to take out a nearly dry substance that could easily be sliced rather than slurped -- ha!

thanks

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 5:50pm
post #16 of 29

cookienibz -- wow that puts the comfy in comfort food -- sounds delicious -- entire pack of amer cheese is 8 oz pack?

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 5:54pm
post #17 of 29

LOL, yes. I really should have clarified that considering now days they make ginormous packs,lol. Btw, it usually makes enough soup for my husband & i to eat on for several meals.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:10pm
post #18 of 29

thank you so much -- sounds delicious

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 1:04am
post #19 of 29

Growing up, my mother would make "healing soup" - basically a purée of potato, pumpkin, carrot, celery and onion all cooked in chicken stock - whenever we were unwell. It's still my go to when I'm sick!

But my favourite these days is lamb shank, pearl barley and vegetable soup with lots of herbs - so tasty and perfect on a cold day. Or a green minestrone with pesto in spring. Or a ribollita any day of the year. Or beef pho for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Or...

I really really love soup....thanks K8!!

MBalaska Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 12:44am
post #20 of 29

@winniemog  what is a ribollita?  

winniemog Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 1:05am
post #21 of 29

It's an Italian soup, it literally means "reboiled", which probably doesn't sound all that appetising! It's common in the region of Tuscany.

Typically it's made with yesterday's soup - like a vegetable or minestrone-type soup, reheated with pieces of dried bread in it.  I'm guessing this doesn't sound very appetising either!

But it's so delicious - a really thick luscious soup - perfect in winter, and in summer I happily eat it at room temperature.

MBalaska Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 2:09am
post #22 of 29

It Sounds good, day old soups & stews are always better on day two, at least in my cooking pot they are.

-K8memphis is going to have us all eating healthy. Carry On!!!!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 2:42am
post #23 of 29

Throw an apple or two (or replace the apple with very ripe pear) into your favorite pumpkin soup recipe and it will just bring it to another level. Sorry, I don't have a recipe because i just throw in what i have in terms of amounts, I usually do it as follows,  pumpkin (half of which I boil and the other half I roast off then say for ever 50ogm/750gm pumpkin I put an apple/rip pear in to cook with the boiling pumpkins, drain the boiled pumpkin but keep the liquid (I boil the pumpkin in water with whatever stock cubes I have on hand added to it). Throw the roast pumpkin in with the boiled pumpkin/apple and puree, add the boiling liquid and cream if you have it to the puree until it is the consistency you like, add salt and pepper and I am done.  

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 1:03pm
post #24 of 29

winniemog -- your post got me off into all directions at once from australia to europe to asia spinning around the globe-- all sounds so good and imagining the smells just makes my eyes roll back in my head and my brain cells waft heavenly -- and since mb cleared up the ribollito, thank you, mb -- fwiw, wm, i love croutons or any kind of bread dipped in soup!

i do have a couple questions though --

so about how thick would your healing soup be? fairly thick? more hearty than brothy?

do you just put a big dollop of pesto into a minestrone? i would never have thought of that!

and the beef pho --- do you have any directions on that one?

I see a recipe here http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beef-pho/

is that about how you do it?

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 1:09pm
post #25 of 29

bubs1stbirthday -- apples/pears and pumpkins that sounds like the best combo --pumpkin for the depth and apples to brighten it up plus roasting to intensify the flavor -- lovely and easy too -- wonderful

thank you

winniemog Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 9:44pm
post #26 of 29

Oh yes K8, healing soup is a thickish purée, not brothy at all. My mother used to serve it with scones (like American biscuits) - or even pumpkin scones - a uniquely Australian invention I think!

Yes, just pop a dollop of pesto on your minestrone, stir it in for extra deliciousness - it packs a lot of flavour. Plus you can make your own pesto with a little stock instead of olive oil if you prefer it lower fat.

And that pho recipe is pretty close to what I make - but I use a big piece of beef shin instead of oxtail and then slice and add it to the soup at the end. Then I char the onions on a chargrill pan for extra smokiness before adding them to the stock. At the end I add plenty of sliced chilli too, and I don't use hoisin - a bit sweet for me. So good though, tasty and really healthy.

-K8memphis Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 10:00pm
post #27 of 29

ahhh so good so many recipes/ideas -- thank you wimmiemog

btw -- i had pieces of dry bread to slurp up my tomato soup today and thought of you! ha!

winniemog Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 11:55pm
post #28 of 29

I just love that eating that dry bread is making you think of me on the other side of the world K8!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 12:54am
post #29 of 29

Quote by @-K8memphis on 24 Mar 2015 , 6:09am

bubs1stbirthday -- apples/pears and pumpkins that sounds like the best combo --pumpkin for the depth and apples to brighten it up plus roasting to intensify the flavor -- lovely and easy too -- wonderful

thank you

You are welcome - sorry only just dug through my notifications to find that there were replies on this thread lol. I actually pinched the idea of the apple in the soup from a cafe that I worked at and at first thought it was weird but it really is delicious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%