Sheet Cake Sizes

Baking By MistyNV30 Updated 25 Mar 2015 , 2:37am by mnurlife

MistyNV30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MistyNV30 Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone. I need some help. I can't find my sheet that has the sizes for the different sheet cakes. What are the sizes for1/4 sheet cake, 1/2 sheet cake and full sheet cake?

Any infomation would be helpful.

Thank You

Misty

5 replies
georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 6

These are the different sizes for sheet cakes:

7x11

9x13

11x15

12x18

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 1:44am
post #3 of 6

A commercial sheet pan is approx 24x18 (some may be 18x26).  aka "full sheet" cake.

Cut that in half.  Now you have two 12x18's .... ."Half sheet" cake

cut each of those in half.  Now you have four 9x12's ..... "quarter" sheet cakes.

Wilton threw in the 11x15 somewhere along the line.  Be careful. I have spotted some Walmart's advertising this as a "half sheet cake".  My half sheet (12x18) serves approx 50.  (cut it in 2x2x2" squares means you will cut it in 6 rows by 9 columns = 54 pieces.)  Wilton's "half sheet" only serves 35 (5 rows x 7 columns of 2" wide).  So when someone tells you "Walmart's half sheets are cheaper!" I can tell them, "Yes, because they are smaller."

Which is why I never used the terms "half" or "quarter".  Tell me how many servings you need and I'll tell you what size cake I needed to make.  Don't even get in the habit.

mnurlife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnurlife Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 6

I have a question. I have someone that needs a cake to feed 50 people but she wants half vanilla and half banana. Would it be wise to but two smaller pans to make a half sheet or buy a half sheet pan and put in a divider and put both batters in and bake.   This would be a first but my customers are starting to ask for larger cakes now so I am looking for a half sheet cake pan.  I've done two 13x9's before and just put them next to each other. I'm not sure if I should do this again or not.  Any help would be great.  Thank you.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 6

The two 9x13s would work fine.  When I used two pans like that, I trimmed the sides that were going to be touching so there was no brown-crust in the middle of the cake.

I make half-n-half cakes all the time and you do not need a divider.  As I explain it, cake batter is not like Kool-Aid ..... it will not merge into each other. Cake batter is like lava .... it will slowly roll into the pan until it touches the other batter and then stop.  I just elevate one end of the pan (put a thick potholder under one end will work fine) and pour in one flavor.  With the pan elevated, I then pour in the other flavor.  Remove the potholder and shake-shake-shake the pan until the batter is evenly distributed in the pan.  People love getting a middle piece with both flavors!

mnurlife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mnurlife Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 2:37am
post #6 of 6

Hi indydebi  Thank you for your reply and your advise.  It is much appreciated.  I ended up buying Wilton's 12x18'' pan.  I'm still deciding if I will return it or not and use two 13x9 instead.  I'm still deciding and I am going to talk to the customer.  Thank you again for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%