Extra Charge For Extra Fondant Work??

Decorating By haileydublin Updated 11 Mar 2015 , 2:57pm by Momof2froggies

haileydublin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
haileydublin Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 8:38am
post #1 of 5

Hi, Quick question re pricing. I know the standard is €3 a serving and €10 for fondant figurines but what's the usual charge (if any) for extra fondant work such as stickers on a suitcase cake, mini football jerseys etc. They're a lot of work so was just wondering do people charge extra or is this included in the €3 per person charge? Thanks!

4 replies
Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 9:11am
post #2 of 5

When you say *the standard* , what do you mean? Is that what you charge? 

There is no set global pricing standard for cakes (if there is then I completely missed the tweet). Everyone charges different prices across the world, and extra charges can vary enormously.

sannalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sannalee Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 9:56am
post #3 of 5

I just adjust my per serve price based on the amount of fondant work involved

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 5

Maybe you are using the word "standard" while others use "base" price. 

Most baker charge a "base" price based on limited decorations. What is "limited decorations" varies though too.  That is why most people may say "Fondant cakes start at $4.00 per serving...". Of course, on any custom cake, then it is up to you to determine what to charge.

A realistic suitcase cake is not only the stickers, but the clasps and buckles and metallic effects as well. Based on the amount of detail you may be adding, it would be reasonable to charge more than your "standard" per serving price because it may well be a carved cake with lots of detail. EXAMPLE-  You may price it as $4.00 per serving plus $25 for stickers plus$25 for buckles; or price it as $5.00 per serving. 

;)@Jedi... I missed the tweet too!

Momof2froggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof2froggies Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 5

I'm relatively new at selling cakes but after researching pricing and trying several methods, I think I've found one that I'm comfortable with, and IMHO is fair both to the client and to myself. I calculate my cost (all materials including cake, fondant, boards, ribbon, box, etc), and then I estimate the amount of time it will take me to make the cake, including baking, tinting the fondant, making the buttercream, making figurines and decorations, putting together the cake, and cleaning up my mess. Then I assign myself a rate per hour of work, add that to my cost and add a %profit. This allows me to charge less for cakes with just a few fondant colors and less detail, and more for cakes that might be the same size or even smaller but that require lots of work. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%