I Need Hellllpppppp Please!!!

Baking By firefightergirl Updated 31 Mar 2015 , 3:26pm by cakeemewithyou

firefightergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firefightergirl Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 2:07am
post #1 of 11

Hi guys.

I am making a cake for my niece's birthday in the next couple weeks. The bottom tier will be about 8 inches round with 3 or 4 layers and the top tier will be about 6 inches.. 3 or 4 layers too. HOW DO I SUPPORT IT???  Should I put cardboard in between the layers? Put dowels in the top or bottom tier or both?  Skewers? How do I stabilize it so it doesn't just collapse? Thank you!

P-S: I will be using only buttercream so don't have to worry about the heaviness of fondant.  

10 replies
gzagara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gzagara Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 2:29am
post #2 of 11

Hi, 

ok, so you should only need supports in your bottom tier unless something heavy is going on top of your top tier. You can use baking dowels, you can find them in your local Walmart in the Wilton aisle or online at Amazon. Or you could use paper straws. I know it sounds crazy but I've used them many times and as long as the cake is as small as you are saying, it will not be a problem. Just cut whatever you are using to the size on you stacked tier. You should put 5-7 of them, spreading out evenly, and making sure you have at least  a couple nearest to the center for proper support. Make sure your top tier is placed on its own cake board before stacking on the cake. You can decide the tier with either a little smear of buttercream, royal icing, or even chocolate. Hope my description is clear. :) good luck with the cake!

Gina

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 2:55am
post #3 of 11

I don't mean to come across as grouch, but this is an extremely easy question for you to figure out on your own with the help of google or you tube. Just google "how to stack a cake" and you'll get TONS of articles and  videos about doing this.  The Wilton website also has a lot of information on cake basics.  I am all for helping newbies, but there's a difference between asking something you're confused about and not doing any work on your own.  Also you could go to your local library and take out a book on cake decorating. Almost every book on basic cake decorating includes a section on stacking cakes. Or if you think you might do this more than once, invest in a book. Then if you have some confusion about the best way to do things, by all means ask here! 

lyndalssis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndalssis Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 3:03am
post #4 of 11

I use plastic drinking straws if only supporting one layer.  Put the top layer on cardboard.  If using buttercream, a little powdered sugar on the part you will stack over will prevent sticking.

firefightergirl Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 3:30am
post #5 of 11

Thank you so much!! Yes your description was very clear and has helped me so much!  :)

firefightergirl Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 3:32am
post #6 of 11

Quote by @gzagara on 1 hour ago

Hi, 

ok, so you should only need supports in your bottom tier unless something heavy is going on top of your top tier. You can use baking dowels, you can find them in your local Walmart in the Wilton aisle or online at Amazon. Or you could use paper straws. I know it sounds crazy but I've used them many times and as long as the cake is as small as you are saying, it will not be a problem. Just cut whatever you are using to the size on you stacked tier. You should put 5-7 of them, spreading out evenly, and making sure you have at least  a couple nearest to the center for proper support. Make sure your top tier is placed on its own cake board before stacking on the cake. You can decide the tier with either a little smear of buttercream, royal icing, or even chocolate. Hope my description is clear. :) good luck with the cake!

Gina

Yes your description was very clear and has helped me so much! Thank you so much!!!! :)  

firefightergirl Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 3:35am
post #7 of 11

Quote by @deuceofcakes on 37 minutes ago

I don't mean to come across as grouch, but this is an extremely easy question for you to figure out on your own with the help of google or you tube. Just google "how to stack a cake" and you'll get TONS of articles and  videos about doing this.  The Wilton website also has a lot of information on cake basics.  I am all for helping newbies, but there's a difference between asking something you're confused about and not doing any work on your own.  Also you could go to your local library and take out a book on cake decorating. Almost every book on basic cake decorating includes a section on stacking cakes. Or if you think you might do this more than once, invest in a book. Then if you have some confusion about the best way to do things, by all means ask here! 

Hi thanks for your advice!  I have actually researched hours on this particular subject and never got a clear description on where to insert the dowels. I didn't realize that this website was only for something I was "confused" about. Sorry about that. Thanks again.

firefightergirl Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 3:36am
post #8 of 11

Quote by @lyndalssis on 32 minutes ago

I use plastic drinking straws if only supporting one layer.  Put the top layer on cardboard.  If using buttercream, a little powdered sugar on the part you will stack over will prevent sticking.

Thank you!!!! :)

AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 9:49am
post #9 of 11

This site isn't just for when you are "confused"... it is for everyone... 
Sometimes we all get a little bothered by things and say things that come off to others the wrong way...
While, yes your questions was basic, you were confused and did at least receive some help... 
Hopefully you will continue to utilize CC...

lyndalssis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndalssis Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 11

that really sounded unkind. 

cakeemewithyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeemewithyou Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 3:26pm
post #11 of 11

If you don't want to answer the question, just move on. Jeez!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%