New Site Suggestions/bugs

Lounge By costumeczar Updated 4 Apr 2015 , 3:17am by Apti

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 10:45am
post #1 of 48

For whoever is taking feedback about the new site...Some issues I'm having are repeated "we encountered a bug" or "server isn't responding" type messages when opening email notifications about new forum posts.

Also, when you go to a thread you're following it takes you to the first post, not back to where the last post from where you stopped reading is. Someone should be able to do something to make sure it takes you to the last post read instead of making you scroll through and remember where you left off. I've never seen a forum that starts you back at the beginning each time, that isn't going to fly.

Last, there's no edit post function on posts once you hit  respond and the post is up. At least that I could find...this is bad for those of us who have fat fingers and can't type, because I guarantee you I go back and correct misspellings etc in almost everything I post here!

In case you need to know, I use the most updated version of IE and sometimes Chrome, and I'm using a PC.

47 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 11:22am
post #2 of 48

Great, everything I just typed disappeared after I hit submit. That's fun!

Let me brake it down just in case...

1) yes, what customczar said...

2) threads with new replies down jump up in the ranking like they used to, which is annoying since

3) my email notifications just deliver "500 error" messages

julia1812 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 11:24am
post #3 of 48

4) have to login again each time I open cc although I clicked on remember password (didn't have that before)

5) can't post pictures (not links) in threads although I saw some others are able to

julia1812 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 11:27am
post #4 of 48

6) search doesn't work properly and gives me "500 error" - love it by now-!

7) older links in threads do not work anymore (at least I can...yes you guessed it...500 error). F.e. Link in this thread:

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/581729/template-for-a-number-4-cake

julia1812 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 11:30am
post #5 of 48

8) when posting pictures I can't add tags. Have to post picture, save, go then back to edit to enter tags

9) most of my pictures are gone. Only a few I posted 2015 are still there...

julia1812 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 11:32am
post #6 of 48

10) what does the "posted 3" f.e. indicates next to my name? Surely not the number of posts.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 48

What they ^ said, and get rid of the spammers please, obviously.

Make avatars smaller. I generally use the forum using the "latest threads" page, and the avatars take up way too much room, leaving less forum posts available at a glance.

I miss seeing the date the thread was created - we only see the time of the last post.

Those 2 would be my main gripes at the moment, off the top of my head. I haven't even wanted to pop in here since the update because of the points mentioned above, so I haven't used it much. I am sure there will be more things that annoy the heck out of me. 

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 48

Good grief, after all this time on a redesign and you still can't keep the spammers out?

Dayti Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 48

Latest forum posts are ordered by time of creation, not by time of latest answer, which is the better option I think. It was ordered by last answer before (i.e. newest posts, not newest threads). This post of mine now will not go to the top of the list, but will be buried amongst the other threads created at around the same time, further down the list. Not very helpful for anyone. 

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 48

I agree with the fact that when you respond to a thread it takes you to the top instead of to the end where you responded.  I also miss the fact that once you have "subscribed" or responded to a thread that it doesn't notify you via email that a new response has arrived.  You have to go back to the thread again to see if something is there.  I also miss that once you sign in and indicate that you want to be "remembered" that you have to re-sign in each and every time you visit CC.  Kind of a hassle.  I realize we have to adjust to new changes and eventually we will, but it seems some new changes are not as convenient and user friendly as some of the older methods.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 48

I NEED EDIT!

Dayti Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 6:19pm
post #12 of 48

Quote by @Gerle on 51 minutes ago

I also miss the fact that once you have "subscribed" or responded to a thread that it doesn't notify you via email that a new response has arrived.  You have to go back to the thread again to see if something is there. 

You can activate email and/or pop-up notifications on the Settings / Notifications part of your account - click on your name at the top right of the screen. But I think at the moment it does it for every single thread you ever commented on ever...so not ideal really.

costumeczar Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 48

This is a terrible forum program, I don't know what platform it is, but it's lacking a lot. I hadn't even run across some of the things other people are mentioning because I only go to the forums and don't do photos etc, but the forum seems to be programmed like a blog and not a forum. Not convenient, and it needs to be changed.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 7:04pm
post #14 of 48

I want the list of newest posts back.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 7:27pm
post #15 of 48

The best way to report bugs, ask questions and make feature requests is in am email to [email protected], or by using the help button in the top navigation. 

Although I have discovered this thread, I might have missed it, to be sure we hear your concerns sending them in directly is the best method.

-Leanne

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 7:41pm
post #16 of 48

@julia1812 please report these issues in an email to [email protected]

• when posting pictures I can't add tags. Have to post picture, save, go then back to edit to enter tags

• most of my pictures are gone. Only a few I posted 2015 are still there

@Dayti you can use the report option in the actions dropdown to report spam, that will help us clean it up. I’ve reported this one above and will delete it soon.

Please send in your feature requests in an email to [email protected]

• Make avatars smaller. I generally use the forum using the "latest threads" page, and the avatars take up way too much room, leaving less forum posts available at a glance.

• I miss seeing the date the thread was created - we only see the time of the last post.

@Gerle, to change your notification settings, click on your name in the upper right corner. A menu appears. Select Account Settings. This will open a box with several tabs for your profile, avatar, password, notification preferences and privacy settings.

You can turn off notifications in the notifications tab.

@leah_s, we hear ya! we need edit too, working on it.

@costumeczar this is a proprietary platform built by Jackie Shaffer, founder of Cake Central. We will be rolling out features over the next weeks and months, so let us know your thoughts and requests in an email to [email protected]

I won’t be monitoring this thread, if you would like to have a discussion of features and bugs, please use this thread: http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/783385/welcome-to-the-updated-cake-central-experience, which Heath and I are monitoring.

-Leanne

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 8:02pm
post #17 of 48

Any way to basically duplicate how it used to be? Seemed like a good system, prior to this new format.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 9:38pm
post #18 of 48

I agree with bot Dayti and AZ - I rarely use this site anymore (and I used to be on it way too much before the 'upgrade') I come on here to use the search button to find answers and it doesn't work. The new site is very user UN friendly and if there was a way to go back to the old site I would be all for it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 9:41pm
post #19 of 48

who moved my cheese

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 9:44pm
post #20 of 48

Quote by @AZCouture on 1 hour ago

Any way to basically duplicate how it used to be? Seemed like a good system, prior to this new format.

We definitely won't be going back to the old site,  but we will be continually addressing bugs and feature requests on this new platform.  While change is hard, this new platform is going to allow us to bring you a lot of new features that were not possible on the previous platform.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 10:21pm
post #21 of 48

I've noticed under our avatars/profiles that our 'location' has disappeared.  I found this very helpful - particularly being from a country other than USA.  I use it to convert vernacular (ie candy vs chocolate), understand climate, regional preferences for flavour/texture, remoteness and also find fellow Australians.  I'd like to see that returned please CC 

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 10:46pm
post #22 of 48

Quote by @Magic Mouthfuls on 24 minutes ago

I've noticed under our avatars/profiles that our 'location' has disappeared.  I found this very helpful - particularly being from a country other than USA.  I use it to convert vernacular (ie candy vs chocolate), understand climate, regional preferences for flavour/texture, remoteness and also find fellow Australians.  I'd like to see that returned please CC 

that will be returning.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 4:14am
post #23 of 48

I'm internet savvy.  I have no problem adapting to change. 

I don't feel that the new format is user friendly--at all--and I don't visit much because of that fact.

Mel37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mel37 Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 8:47am
post #24 of 48

Wow this upgrade really isn't going very well is it?

For those in charge, I understand you are probably getting rather stressed at how this is gone, and I do feel sorry for you, but as someone who uses CC regularly, it simply is very surprising that this seems to have been handled so badly. Getting grumpy with your users, who are simply sad that the great forums and resources that we used daily are now unusable, is really not very fair. We didn't ask for all of these changes. Change can be good, but how it's managed is very important.

Yes this new program may allow you to add new features in the future, but if it can't handle the basics of what we already had, then surely you can understand that's really why everyone is getting frustrated? As it stands at the moment, from a user perspective, this has been a downgrade not an upgrade.

I would hope that when you were looking at new platform providers, they would have been shown the existing system and what it did, so that you could confirm that all of that functionality would still be available to existing users, as a minimum? Are the platform providers helping you with support at all? If not I'd be all over them, if they have sold you a system without checking what it really can and cannot do! Did they run a beta test version after they had been given your requirements, so you could bug fix and tweak it before it went live? It seems at the moment that that didn't happen at all, and that's awful service on their part!

I do hope that you get things sorted, but I have to say until then, I'm afraid I won't be on here much.

costumeczar Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 10:46am
post #25 of 48

Quote by @maybenot on 6 hours ago

I'm internet savvy.  I have no problem adapting to change. 

I don't feel that the new format is user friendly--at all--and I don't visit much because of that fact.

Me too...I just stated this thread because I thought that whoever was doing the coding might be interested in getting some feedback about a real-user experience. If you need beta testers let us know because we seem to be interested in helping improve the functionality of the site

smysha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smysha Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 10:52am
post #26 of 48

Well said @Mel37 ! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 12:18pm
post #27 of 48

Jackie, the founder of cc is developing the new site - they did not buy from someone else -- the only grouchiness I see is from people who can't adapt even though they say they can/do/are --

there has been an exhausting concentrated sleep deprived amount of hard labor put into this new launch by jackie, a sweet cake person we all have known for years and years and I think appreciation is in order --

yes they want reports on where they need to fix things but let's grow up a little here -- if it's not good enough for you make your own or wait a few it's getting better all the time

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 12:47pm
post #28 of 48

Is anyone having an issue accessing their old private messages?  I am guilty of hoarding them so if they were deleted in the upgrade I understand...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 2:10pm
post #29 of 48

+1 Mel37

And stop sending me all the da*&*% error messages.

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 2:20pm
post #30 of 48

Also, if some of the regulars are not getting on, it's because the new password button doesn't work. I had to create a new account (this one) and even that took a few days to get through. I guess I can forget about my old one, not like I had anything of value on it anyways (except for saved recipes/threads). And yes, I did do what they told me too (went through the link posted in the forum to change the password). Ugh. When changing a site's functionality, check it out more before you let it go live.

Something seems to be up with these "blog" looking forums, seems to be a trendy thing. Trendy does not always mean functional....

Time changed, website changed, baby's getting teeth in.... I don't need another headache, lols

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%