Looking For Gold

Decorating By candycakes51 Updated 10 Mar 2015 , 3:37am by LeanneW

candycakes51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes51 Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 8

I have been searching for a true metallic gold that I can use on cakes.  I have tried a few different liquids and dusts but none have given me that shiny gold finish I am looking for.  Any suggestions?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 8

the real gold edible foil -- i bought mine on amazon -- it's pricey and i went looking briefly just now but if you find a good deal it's probably bronze or copper or something not edible even though it says it is -- it was about fifty bucks a pop when i bought mine  24 3"x3" fly away leaves -- if you look cross eyed at it it will crumple into a vanishing puddle -- 

another suggestion is to remember it's food and be happy with your best unless the client wants to $hell out big time for it -- i used mine for family, my daughter and you can't put a price on that huh --

best to you

sharonsamazingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonsamazingcakes Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 8

Edible gold leaf seem to be the answer. It is pricey but you get 25 sheets in the pack. I don't use the leaves because they  seem tricky to apply but when I researched this topic a few months ago, all the information I found pointed to edible gold leaf. 

Personally, I use air-brush gold, then highlight it with ultra gold dust. The customers are happy with that effect so far.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 8

I heard on t.v the other night that real edible gold was something like $234 per once - OUCH :)   

There are some things that are just NOT meant to be eaten.  Gold dusts are NOT edible - usually they are non-toxic same as Elmer's glue and crayons!  And a 'pack of gold leaf' is NOT gold unless you import it from someplace like Iran.  

As K8 said >>>>:.............if you find a good deal it's probably bronze or copper or something not edible even though it says it is -- it was about fifty bucks a pop when i bought mine  24 3"x3" fly away leaves -- if you look cross eyed at it it will crumple into a vanishing puddle  

Mybearsbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mybearsbaby Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 11:29am
post #5 of 8

I use the edible gold sheen airbrush color, and just airbrush it on. 

kayteetrudeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayteetrudeau Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 8

There was just a discussion about golds right here: http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/783354/pastry-ideale-gold-dust-reviews

Lots of info there.

candycakes51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candycakes51 Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you all for the information.  I learned a lot.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 3:37am
post #8 of 8

My favorite gold dust is by AUI Swiss, it is the most "gold". When in doubt don't eat it, the website says it's non-edible. But it is super pretty!

https://www.nicholaslodge.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7438

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%