Cake Sizes?

Decorating By bridinney Updated 25 Feb 2015 , 11:37pm by mmhassa2

bridinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridinney Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 12:40am
post #1 of 13

I am hoping to make a minnie mouse cake for my cousins first birthday. Her mom isnt too fussy and loves most of the pictures I have found. I am leaning towards a certain cake (in pink though) and am looking for input on the size of cakes to use. I need to feed around 40-50 people but it can be a little less as I will just make a few cupcakes. I found the picture on google but have no luck tracing it back to the maker as I am lead to a site about "famous minnie mouse cakes". That being said, I know there are a ton of experienced bakers on here who could probably give me a hand! Here's what I think: I think the top layer is 6" tall while the bottom is 4" (not sure though, it might also be three layers), the part I am confused by is the size of pans that may have been used. It looks like it could be an 8" and a 10" but there seems like there is more than an inch of space on each side but it does not look like it could be a 12" with the 8". I really like how the cake looks (the tiers are not too spaced apart but are also not squished together) so I am looking for advice on the sizes of cake tiers to use. I plan on using half of the Wilton ball cake for the top as I have this pan. Any advice would be great! (also, does anyone have a simple tutorial for making the ruffles at the bottom? My guess it is just a strip of fondant with creases around)

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

12 replies
kamill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kamill Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 1:28am
post #2 of 13

A

kamill Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 1:30am
post #3 of 13

AThe ruffles could just be Buttercream you get this by using the the rose petal tip in wilton it's 104

kamill Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 1:31am
post #4 of 13

AOr maybe just frill a strip of fondant I hope thus helps

kamill Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 1:38am
post #5 of 13

AI'm doing something similar for my son's bday next month but it'll be [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3331803/width/200/height/400[/IMG]mickey mouse of course

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 3:26am
post #6 of 13

Looks like a 6" and a 9" to me.  Fondant rufffle on the bottom.

lmcclaflin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmcclaflin Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 13

I have a question on these cakes.  I am being asked to do one and this will be my first time.  Do most people use the Wilton ball cake pan for the hat?  If so, it seems like it would be too big for a 6" top tier.  I think I have the soccer ball one - would I have to trim it down?  Then I was wondering about pricing - how many servings would that hat add to the price?  Maybe 4 if it's one that will sit on a 6"?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 13

you have to have permission from disney to sell a mickie cake --

sculptures add odd amounts of servings -- it's taller in the middle so a thinner slice there -- it's shorter around the edges so a larger footprint would be cut --  just have to guestimate

kamill Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 7:34pm
post #9 of 13

AHey if someone coukd help it would be greately appreciated. I dont know how to start a new conversation so im just going put it here im new to all of this. Anyways i was asked to maje a shellraiser cake tmnt van and i realky dont know where to start they want it to serve 50 people so i was thing a half a sheet can anyone give me sone advise on what i can do

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 8:36pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamill 

I dont know how to start a new conversation

Near the top of each thread, just to the right of Post a Reply, you will see a button labelled Start a New Thread. Click on that button and you're ready to roll. 

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 25 Feb 2015 , 3:27am
post #11 of 13

Have done quite a few mickey/minnie cakes lately and use and 8" and an 6" which provides approx 32 servings. 

lmcclaflin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmcclaflin Posted 25 Feb 2015 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 13

Question for you mmhassa2 - the 2 with the mickey hats with ears, did you do those cake also? or was it RKTs?  The theme is baby mickey with light blue hat/ears.  If I do cake, then I can maybe cover it with buttercream if I can get it smooth enough?  My plan is do the tiers buttercream also.  This is the example.  What sizes do you think these are?  My guess is 10/8/6.

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 25 Feb 2015 , 11:37pm
post #13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmcclaflin 

Question for you mmhassa2 - the 2 with the mickey hats with ears, did you do those cake also? or was it RKTs?  The theme is baby mickey with light blue hat/ears.  If I do cake, then I can maybe cover it with buttercream if I can get it smooth enough?  My plan is do the tiers buttercream also.  This is the example.  What sizes do you think these are?  My guess is 10/8/6.

The head is just Styrofoam covered in fondant while the ears are made out of fondant with tylose powder.

For the cake you have I would just use 6" and 8".  This is what I basically use for all my cakes as its the perfect size for small/med birthday parties. :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%