Soft Yet Durable Sugar Cookies

Decorating By Norasmom Updated 23 Feb 2015 , 3:54am by MBalaska

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 2:51am
post #1 of 8

Any recipes out there where a sugar cookie won't get hard as a rock but won't be so soft it collapses when packaged?

Want to mail some out…

Let me know..

Karen

7 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 4:51am
post #2 of 8

are you talking about sugar cookies : roll dough into balls, roll balls in sugar, bake.

or roll out dough & cut out cookies?

http://allrecipes.com/video/2652/easy-sugar-cookies/detail.aspx?prop24=RD_VideoTipsTricks

Norasmom Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 8

Roll-out and cut cookies, but the recipe you sent is great!  :D

Thanks MBAlaska!  I love Allrecipes!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 5:25pm
post #4 of 8

AI like the No Fail Sugar Cookie. You can find the recipe through the search box. I think the thickness of the dough lends to it's "durability". 1/4" or even a little less would be pretty substantial. I find they still yield to the bite after a week or two but it's the royal icing that gets really hard. MBalaska has been experimenting with some different kinds of recipes recently maybe on of her Springerle recipes is what you want.

Good luck!

MBalaska Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 8

http://www.cakecentral.com/a/no-fail-sugar-cookies

http://www.cakecentral.com/a/toba-garretts-glace-icing

try making this recipe but without the baking powder and don't put ALL of the flour in it will soften the cookie a bit., and use the corn syrup glaze icing:

No Fail Sugar Cookies - NFSC

Ingredients

• 6 cups flour 3 tsp. baking powder 2 cups unsalted butter 2 cups sugar (white granulated) 2 eggs 2 tsp. vanilla extract or desired flavoring (I like almond myself) 1 tsp. salt

Instructions

1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture. Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
  2. Chill for 1 to 2 hours (or see Hint below)
  3. Roll to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350 degrees F (176 C) for 8 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges. This recipe can make up to 5-dozen 3" cookies.

Toba Garrett's Glace' Icing

Ingredients

• 1 lb. confectioners' sugar 3/8 cup milk 3/8 cup light corn syrup flavoring as desired

Instructions

1. In a mixing bowl, mix the sugar and milk first. Add corn syrup just until combined.
  2. Divide to flavor and add color.

MBalaska Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 8

I know that the sugar cookie recipe from my top post does not roll the dough in sugar, but I do it and it gives them a lovely crisp crust with a soft interior.  I don't use colored sugar unless if I color the dough to match.  I think it looks like the cookies have blemishes when they are put on white cookies.   It isn't something that I take photos of, but gold, red, green, blue colored sugar cookies with matching sugars are quite adorable.

Norasmom Posted 23 Feb 2015 , 3:48am
post #7 of 8

Thank you MBAlaska!!!

:-D

MBalaska Posted 23 Feb 2015 , 3:54am
post #8 of 8

You're very welcome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%