Problems With The Perfect Chocolate Cake From Hershey´s

Baking By rociodbb Updated 24 Jun 2016 , 12:42pm by Tidido

rociodbb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rociodbb Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all!

So, trying to get a moister and a littler richer cake than my regular add-cocoa-powder-to the-vanilla-batter cake, I tried the Hershey´s recipe. I liked the flavor, definitively like more the texture, but my huge problems are:

1. It sticks. Everywhere! No matter parchment paper or Baker´s Joy.

2. It sinks. Always. I made 3 batches. Tested and left in the oven 5-10 more minutes to make sure it was done, but still it sunk shortly after taking it out of the oven.

3. I doubt it will support the weight of fondant, which is a big big issue for me. I put them in the fridge overnight, and although they seem to be a little bit firmer today I will not even try covering them in fondant.

Would anybody care to help me with what I may be doing wrong, or maybe lead me to a better recipe that is similar to this but will be firm enough to support fondant? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!!

10 replies
kbaile36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbaile36 Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 11

AHi! I have used the recipe, as written, under fondant. It was a three tier cake, and it held up fine. As long as you have the proper supports for the cake, you shouldn't have a problem. I also noticed that my cakes were very sticky and always sunk. I did a search here on CC for the recipe, and I found some great modifications that solved the problem! Reduce the baking powder and baking soda amounts to 1 tsp each. Also replace the milk with sour cream. I also like to replace the water with a french vanilla coffee, which enhances the taste a lot! I hope this helps!! :)

rociodbb Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 11

thank you SO much for your reply! I will have to try the recipe with the modifications. I do look forward to have this solved, I think it´s a much nicer cake than the regular one!

Thanks again!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 11

I posted this last month in another thread about that problematic (but delicious) cake: 

I really like Hershey's back-of-the-box Perfectly Chocolate Cake. This recipe (with a few tweaks) was the basis for my bakery's best selling cake. If you make it, cut both leaveners by 33% and reduce the water by 25%. Also, I used cool water or coffee, never boiling water.

rociodbb Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

I posted this last month in another thread about that problematic (but delicious) cake: 

I really like Hershey's back-of-the-box Perfectly Chocolate Cake. This recipe (with a few tweaks) was the basis for my bakery's best selling cake. If you make it, cut both leaveners by 33% and reduce the water by 25%. Also, I used cool water or coffee, never boiling water.

Thanks, MimiFix! Did these changes result in a cake that didn´t sink? or is there something else that I may be doing wrong?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 11

The Hershey's cake recipe is problematic for many people, even professionals. With those adjustments your cake should not sink. It's been years since I changed the ingredient amounts, and I never had a problem again.

rociodbb Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 11

I truly appreciate your advice!!!

Thank you, thank you!!

ChianChiew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChianChiew Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 6:16am
post #8 of 11

Hi hi!

im new to Hershey perfectly choc cake too. I keep getting a very gummy cake. I follow the recipe exactly using baking measuring cup (only modification is I bake half the recipe). Would you know why it's gummy in texture? 

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 11:55am
post #9 of 11

Quote by @rociodbb on 10 Feb 2015 , 5:28am

Hi all!

So, trying to get a moister and a littler richer cake than my regular add-cocoa-powder-to the-vanilla-batter cake, I tried the Hershey´s recipe. I liked the flavor, definitively like more the texture, but my huge problems are:

1. It sticks. Everywhere! No matter parchment paper or Baker´s Joy.

2. It sinks. Always. I made 3 batches. Tested and left in the oven 5-10 more minutes to make sure it was done, but still it sunk shortly after taking it out of the oven.

3. I doubt it will support the weight of fondant, which is a big big issue for me. I put them in the fridge overnight, and although they seem to be a little bit firmer today I will not even try covering them in fondant.

Would anybody care to help me with what I may be doing wrong, or maybe lead me to a better recipe that is similar to this but will be firm enough to support fondant? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!!

Those are exactly the reasons I finally gave up on that recipe...for me at least it was no where near "perfect"!

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 11

I made some changes to it as it was suggested by MimiFix and never had problems with it. 

It sinks? turn temperature down for 350 to 340-335 and insert nails.

It sticks? yes, but only top, not bottom and sides, so what the top is moist and stick to foil and plastic wrap? it is cake after all and not a brick.

I never had problem with gummy texture.

Tidido Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tidido Posted 24 Jun 2016 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 11

I use the Hershey's Sour Cream cake recipe. It's so much better, more firm and behaves beautifully. I adjusted the original to my sugar and cocoa preferences.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%