Best Fondant For Hot, Humid Weather

Decorating By kgorhan Updated 9 Feb 2015 , 7:32am by jessicake

kgorhan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgorhan Posted 5 Feb 2015 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to do the cakes for my brother's wedding this June. I live in Florida and it's an outdoor wedding. I would like to know what is the best fondant for a cake that will be displayed outside in 90+ degree 90% humidity type weather.

5 replies
Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 5 Feb 2015 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 6

AGaghh! I hate that question, too. People always ask *How long does it take to make a cake?* Like 'a cake' is such a technical term and all cakes take the same amount of time. I always feel like getting really snarky and asking them back - what kind of cake? A seven-tiered fondant beauty with 183 hand-made, realistic gumpaste flowers, or a monkey-iced cakewreck?

I never answer.

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 5 Feb 2015 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 6

AWow. The above post sure landed in the wrong thread.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2015 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 6

Any commercial fondant should work for you.  Buy whatever brand you like.

kgorhan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kgorhan Posted 5 Feb 2015 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 6

I've only used fondant a couple times and it's the Wilton brand because that's the only thing you can get at shops around here. I've only tasted fondant once at a wedding and it was nasty.

jessicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicake Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 7:32am
post #6 of 6

People seem to love Carma Massa Ticino Tropic.  It is formulated for tropical climates, and therefore good in humidity.  It is fairly white and quite stretchy and easy to roll and smooth without tearing.  I find it to be very sheer though.  Apparently it does not contain any white coloring, so I find I have to roll it THICKER, in addition to using a thicker crumb coat, so I can't see through it.  Kind of a pain when covering chocolate or red velvet.  However, DO NOT refrigerate.  It will melt.  Weird.  I keep telling myself that I will experiment with adding white coloring to the Tropic to see if I can get it more opaque, but I haven't yet… Tastes good with a slight hint of lemon.  

I have gone back to using Massa Americana from Albert Uster.  It is more difficult to roll out (working those pecs and triceps!) but it is much more opaque than the Tropic.  It does get quite sticky when put outside in heat and humidity, but it does not melt or droop.  

BTW, I live in Charleston, SC and it is quite humid here year-round.  

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%