Question For Custom Cake Business Owners

Business By dreamcakes Updated 4 Feb 2015 , 3:05am by dreamcakes

dreamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakes Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 12:25am
post #1 of 6

AI'm trying to figure out the best remedy for handling customers who ask endless questions about cake prices and result in purchasing nothing. I'm finding myself spending hours on sending cake quotes and most customers what something for nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions. Those of us who do custom cake know its hard to develop a " flat rate" because prices vary. There must be a better way.... Suggestions please!!!

5 replies
Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 12:55am
post #2 of 6

One thing I do to combat that problem, is to have a list of base (starting) prices on my website; that does tend to discourage the price sticklers from contacting in the first place. Its hard though there are people who will ask the same question over and over again in slightly different ways. It's one of those thing's that's kind of inevitable with this sort of custom business. Just try to keep your replies clear and to the point and don't get too caught up in their excessive emails.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 1:08am
post #3 of 6

AThis was just posted....although not cake related.....principals are the same. Your answers in here.

http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/avoid-clients-that-could-hurt-your-business/

dreamcakes Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 1:13am
post #4 of 6

AThank you both for the advice.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 1:53am
post #5 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchuck 

This was just posted....although not cake related.....principals are the same. Your answers in here.

http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/avoid-clients-that-could-hurt-your-business/

Get the budget and payment agreement out of the way first. If you let a relationship progress before you talk budget, you will be more inclined to do the work for a lower rate. Beware of clients who do not openly discuss rates.

This was a good one from that article. 

I have a starting at price for most things on my website. When discussing what they want, I always mention the starting at price per my website. If they start giving me photo after photo asking for all sorts of bids, I stop the process and ask for a budget. I don't quote out all those photos. I need to know whether that person is potentially my client or not, and a budget will tell me that. Once I know a budget, I can offer ballpark bids or I can tell them what they CAN get for that budget. 

dreamcakes Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 3:05am
post #6 of 6

AJenmat I love that idea. I will definitely be doing that from now on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%