Using Cupcakes For Practice

Decorating By bakeforfun21 Updated 3 Feb 2015 , 5:30pm by bakeforfun21

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone ever done this? Baked cupcakes and used them for practicing cake decorating techniques. Like, baked them, unwrapped one and stored the rest, and decorated the one cupcake as if it were a regular cake. I'm thinking of doing this so I don't waste too many of my materials (fondant, buttercream, cake mix).

9 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 10

No.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 10

No.  Get some cake dummys.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 10

www. dallas foam .com

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Feb 2015 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 10

Another option is to decorate a cake pan that is turned upside down.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 2:23am
post #6 of 10

AYou can also keep your buttercream in the fridge and reuse it over and over again on dummy cake. Just put a label "do not eat" on it, just in case! You dont want that stuff on a real cake by mistake...

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 10

Cake techniques don't translate to cupcakes very well. While practicing on dummies or cake pans are fine for specifics, like piping, borders, flowers, it's my opinion that you need to practice on real cakes. Dummies and cake pans don't get bulges, don't bake unevenly, they don't shift or settle, and stacking them doesn't really count since there's no way to learn how to properly support a cake. 

If you use a cake mix, and make a practice buttercream, it's not that expensive. Splurge. Practice on real cakes. We've all seen the websites with beautiful dummies next to lumpy, bulging, misshapen cakes.

bakeforfun21 Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

No.  Get some cake dummys.

I bought the styorafoam dummy's from joann fabric.

bakeforfun21 Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laetia 

You can also keep your buttercream in the fridge and reuse it over and over again on dummy cake. Just put a label "do not eat" on it, just in case! You dont want that stuff on a real cake by mistake...

why didn't i think of this. thank you

bakeforfun21 Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 5:30pm
post #10 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elcee 

Cake techniques don't translate to cupcakes very well. While practicing on dummies or cake pans are fine for specifics, like piping, borders, flowers, it's my opinion that you need to practice on real cakes. Dummies and cake pans don't get bulges, don't bake unevenly, they don't shift or settle, and stacking them doesn't really count since there's no way to learn how to properly support a cake. 

If you use a cake mix, and make a practice buttercream, it's not that expensive. Splurge. Practice on real cakes. We've all seen the websites with beautiful dummies next to lumpy, bulging, misshapen cakes.

that's a good point as well. thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%