Going To School For Baking

Lounge By SweetSunday Updated 1 Feb 2015 , 3:50am by sewsugarqueen

SweetSunday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSunday Posted 28 Jan 2015 , 12:40am
post #1 of 2

AHi! I signed up for a pastry certificate program in my area and I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on schooling for this. If you are in the pastry profession, do you think it is just a waste of money? I'm worried that I will go to school and not be able to find a job. I would love to work at bakery that specializes in cupcakes/cakes and I don't want to be stuck at a grocery store bakery. If you are a bakery owner/ or work at one, do you hire people that have a pastry certificate/diploma or more hands on experience?

Thank you!

1 reply
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 3:50am
post #2 of 2

I don't know how expensive this schooling is but what you will earn as a baker/pastry person is not on the high end of wages.  In fact when you begin it might be minimum wage or slightly higher.  Walmart and local bakeries will only pay minimum and you will work your butt or other body parts off---especially the feet.  However the experience is good. 

I never had formal training other than a few classes I took and I read constantly.    My mom, grandmother both scratch baked and so I baked from age 8 and up.  Work part time for a bakery now that I have retired from a full time job.  Is the schooling worth it.  Most of the time yes.  There are so many tricks to learn how to work faster, how to properly do things. ( I am so messy at times I know if I was taking schooling I'd fail on setup and working neatly.:cry:)  Baking  large amounts is different than small home baking.  It is also important to learn safe storage of items and food safety.

I actually plan to take a baking course offered on Sat mornings from a college this year. 

My daughter ended up becoming a  formally trained pastry chef. ( this is a girl who refused to learn how to bake with me and the lightbulb went on when she was 18...)  She has a college certificate.  Yes that has helped her help get jobs especially as she  decided to work for  hotels.  Hotels often have benefits and pay a few dollars more an hour.  She did internships in regular bakeries, took some Wilton cake decorating courses and extra night classes at a community college. The certificate helped her get $1-2 more an hour for starting pay.  

Don't know if this advice helps you or not.  My attitude is if the tuition cost is reasonable then it is well worth it. Hope this advice helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%