What Brand Straight Sided Cake Tins Do You Use And Why?

Baking By derbyfour Updated 1 Feb 2015 , 9:31pm by derbyfour

derbyfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
derbyfour Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 4:28am
post #1 of 12

Hello

Looking at replacing and adding to my cake tin collection, some of which are perfectly seasoned and are keepers.

Interested in your recommendations on the brands do you use, and why?

Much appreciated!

11 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 6:16am
post #2 of 12

Magic Line. They're the first kind I bought (from recommendations here) and I love them.

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 7:05am
post #3 of 12

AMagic line. Won't use anything else.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 7:14am
post #4 of 12

I love Magic Line, but they are a little pricey.  Taking my time buying the pieces.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Jan 2015 , 8:01am
post #5 of 12

ditto, ditto, ditto.  In fact I just threw away an old cake pan and replaced it with a magic line pan.  I couldn't figure out why one pan kept baking up perfect and the other pan was overbrowning.  Finally realized that my collection of pans had several different brands of pan.  Tossed the stupid one, and bought a new Parrish magic line pan.  problem solved.

derbyfour Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 6:13am
post #6 of 12

Thank you every one for your recommendations.

I had noticed some good reviews for magic line.  I don't mind expensive if they last well and give consistently good results, I just spread out the purchases :-)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 12

AMagic Line. They should last a lifetime.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 12

I bought a few Wilton Performance pans, aluminum with the rolled edge, when I started baking. A few years later when I opened my bakery cafe, I bought several dozen more. I don't think Wilton has the best overall product-line quality, but forty years later my pans are still in excellent condition. 

Don't hate me. Just sharing my :cake: experience.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 4:55pm
post #9 of 12

I love my Magic line pans especially for square cakes.  I have a few of the Pro Wilton and they are fine.  I only have round and specialty shape Wilton.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 12

I think that it was more important to have matching pans, meaning the same brand, as I discovered that my two pans were actually a different weight, and a different height, probably a different thickness.  So that no matter where I put the pans in the oven,{ as I originally thought I'd developed a bad hot spot in my oven, thankfully I didn't  } they baked differently.

This only mattered with pans that I put in the oven all at once, such as 6", 8", 9" pans.  everything else only fits in my oven - one pan at a time.  So it makes perfect sense that your cake pans from Wilton have worded perfectly for you Mimi. I just can't image how I managed to get different brands of cake pans in my 6", 8", & 9" rounds.  it's a mystery..........

:detective:

derbyfour Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 12

That is an excellent suggestion.  I never thought of that.  Thanks!

derbyfour Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 9:31pm
post #12 of 12

I think that we can readily get Wilton in Australia in various degrees of quality and cost.    If they are still going then that is an excellent recommendation.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%