Faux Burlap

Decorating By denderle Updated 5 Jan 2015 , 8:56pm by rychevamp

denderle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denderle Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 16

AI have a wedding cake to do in July and they want burlap around the tiers. Has anyone used the faux burlap ribbon in place of "real" burlap? I just wondered if it "sheds" like real burlap or not? Thanks in advance for your help!!

15 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 7:39pm
post #2 of 16

You can make it using fondant or gumpaste and shred the edges. There's a clay impression mat that they sell in the craft stores now that has a burlap texture on it. I'd do that before using real burlap anything on a cake, they're all fairly shreddy.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 16

AThere's also a new burlap mat to be used with sugar dress or cake lace. Can't remember where I saw it though. If I do, I'll post a link.

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 16

I use a "burlap looking" ribbon, I found at Walmart.  It looks great, with none of the problems. 

CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 16

I added a cake in my pictures (round wedding cakes)  with the burlap type ribbon I got at Walmart.  It worked great.

costumeczar Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 10:38pm
post #6 of 16

Just a rhetorical question as an aside...Why do people want to put a fabric like burlap on a cake to begin with? It's rough, stinky, and it sheds. I don't get it and I never will, unless it's done for an art project about mental tension. But that just gave me a good idea about an art project :)

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 3 Jan 2015 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 16
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 4:22am
post #8 of 16

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

Just a rhetorical question as an aside...Why do people want to put a fabric like burlap on a cake to begin with? It's rough, stinky, and it sheds. I don't get it and I never will, unless it's done for an art project about mental tension. But that just gave me a good idea about an art project :)

Exactly my thoughts! Yikes

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 12:06pm
post #9 of 16

Ayes the burlap and feathers and rhinestones and formaldehyde treated flowers etc should go on the table not on the food even if it is a wedding cake

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 16

ASugar Veil also makes a burlap mat. Works great if you dust it with cocoa powder first and then apply the Sugar Veil or Cake Lace. Comes out to look like the real thing!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 3:29pm
post #11 of 16

Sugar Delites has the Burlap mat.  Bikemom3 posted it :)

http://www.sugardelites.com/Burlap-Hessian-Lace-Mat_p_2310.html

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 16

AThe smell alone makes me gag! I don't understand why people associate burlap with cakes.

costumeczar Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 4:22pm
post #13 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypto 

The smell alone makes me gag! I don't understand why people associate burlap with cakes.

It's for people who have never set foot in a barn in their lives who want to pretend that they have for their rustic wedding theme. I just don't get it.

Krypto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krypto Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 5:12pm
post #14 of 16

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

It's for people who have never set foot in a barn in their lives who want to pretend that they have for their rustic wedding theme. I just don't get it.

Brides around here like to have pictures taken with their beautiful wedding gowns on next to horses. I personally wouldn't want horse "stuff" all over my wedding gown. :D

costumeczar Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 7:14pm
post #15 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krypto 

Brides around here like to have pictures taken with their beautiful wedding gowns on next to horses. I personally wouldn't want horse "stuff" all over my wedding gown. icon_biggrin.gif

We once saw a wedding announcement in the paper that was a photo of the bride and a horse. It was odd yet extremely funny.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 8:56pm
post #16 of 16

AWilton also makes a burlap embosser, around $6. Could check Michael's with a coupon :) be even cheaper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%