Fondant To Look Like This?

Decorating By storestore Updated 24 Dec 2014 , 8:11am by FlourPots

storestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
storestore Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, all. I am wanting to make a frozen cake, fondant covered, with the look of the bottom of this dress for the sides. I'm wondering if I could cover the whole cake with blue and use a little bit of pink wilton gel and vodka and that would give me an ombre purple effect?

5 replies
Lindsay29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsay29 Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 6

Ahiya, I know this is nothing to do with the conversations but need adviceI baked chocolate cupcakes earlier, for the frosting I used icing sugar, chocolate and double creamdoes this need refrigeration and how long will it last as its for my sons bday party Saturday xx

makeherabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeherabaker Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 6

Perhaps this video will help.

I don't know how that would transfer in being an entire fondant sheet

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 6

I've done this before...it's very easy and looks really pretty in person...I don't think the blended section comes across well using my simple point-and-shoot.

(You can click to enlarge the pics...see how the gray (3rd pic) looks like there's purple lines running through it and the white looks almost dirty...in person that wasn't visible).

This is a polymer clay technique called Skinner Blend...there's lots of tutorials showing how to make it.

You can use a pasta machine, but I had no luck with that at all.

You can start with flat rolled out clay/fondant, like in the YouTube video, or you can start with 2 carrot shapes, like in the tutorial I used.

I like the thicker shapes because as you saw in the video, the fondant gets shorter while spreading wide. I cut away the sides several times to make it easier to manage when folding and rolling.

Also, if you work on parchment paper, you can spin the parchment around to roll from the other side once or twice, but still in the same direction (I hope that makes sense).

This wasn't in any tutorial...technically, you're only supposed to fold & roll in one direction, but after so many rounds of it, you'll see that it helps to come in from the other end.

storestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
storestore Posted 22 Dec 2014 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 6

AVery cool, flour pots. Thank you so much!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 24 Dec 2014 , 8:11am
post #6 of 6

You're welcome :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%