Crisco Changing

Decorating By Elserj Updated 26 Jan 2007 , 1:44am by Kelrak

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 19

I heard on the news this morning that Crisco has decided to start making their product without trans fats. Does anybody have a theory if this will affect frosting?

18 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 19

It is already out. Cooks magazine did a review and found very little difference in product. I think it will be terrific, but a bit more expensive. My store currently only carries the packages of sticks.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 19

Only the sticks? They don't sell the cans at all? Wow! you pay out the whazoo for shortening then don't you? I was, out of curiosity, pricing those shortening sticks yesterday. Price per cup in stick form is like $0.70 per cup. Price per cup in can form is about $0.40 a cup. This was at Walmart. My price per cup purchased in the big cans at Sam's is like $0.25 per cup.

Yamiari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yamiari Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 19

Is not something new but I saw it at the supermarket on december for the first time and bought it, I thought it wouldn't hurt to try, and I really didn't found any difference in the taste nor the texture of the frosting..

I recommend you guys to try it! icon_smile.gif

From now on I will start buying 0 trans fat crisco

Here is the website if you want more info: http://www.crisco.com/about/0_grams.asp

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 19

Indydebi-

yep, out the wazooo. But with the changes in the food industry, I expect we will start to see no-trans-fat more available. At least I hope so. icon_smile.gif

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 19

Okay, so I'm not a chemist nor a nutritionalist. If it has 0 transfat - why is it still fatty or greasy and solid, like the unsaturated fatty acid it is? Maybe I'm still missing the gap here. As long as it is still solid through hydrogenation, it must still have transfat! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_lol.gif Zero transfat, really?! Maybe Crisco merely wants to increase their prices by putting on a new face. There is always that thought! Just expressing my initial instant thoughts. I'm not impressed yet!

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 19

From what I understand transfat is just a cheaper, nastier fat that has been getting a lot of well deserved negative publicity. I guess it all started with Crisco. Apparently Crisco's new formula uses solid fully hydroganted palm oil cut with soybean and sunflower oil (got that from wikipedia, but doesn't sound bogus). It's supposed to be equivalent to the old kind. I think this is a great step on Crisco's part. If they are the original *manufacturers*, they are saying a lot by changing their formula.

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 9:06pm
post #8 of 19

Have no clue what you've just said. icon_redface.gif I'll try some to see if it would make me feel happier, lighter, tastes better. Shouldn't be any difference.

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 9:13pm
post #9 of 19

LOL, me either - but they are just using different fats to get the same effect that the trans fat gave them before.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 9:54pm
post #10 of 19

I use this kind of Crisco for my buttercream and there is no difference in taste at all.

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:02pm
post #11 of 19

I too am paying out the wazoo for the no trans fat Crisco sticks - it hasn't made a difference in taste in my buttercream at all!

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 19

I just bought a can of the new stuff, it was sitting next to a can of the old stuff and it was the same price. I cannot tell a differance at all. IN fact, I did not even know there was a differance until I read this thread. I just thought they changed their lables!

NoviceBaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoviceBaker2 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:03pm
post #13 of 19

Have not tried the new crisco yet am glad to hear that they came out with no trans fat and you can still use it for the BC icing can't wait to try it! icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:10pm
post #14 of 19

AZRunner, you read my mind! A transfat is a transfat, no matter what fat it is made of. It has hydrogen atoms added to it to raise it's smoke temperature and prolong it's shelf life.

It sounds to me like someone is trying to befuddle us with BS. So glad I took those nutrition courses as my science electives in college.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 19

Yep, even the no trans fat kind will still be awful for you. Fat is Fat! but I still buy the trans fat free kind knowing it will clog my arteries down the road. It's the same as the whole LOW FAT ice cream thing, the low fat has the same amount of sugar as the regular ice cream and you'll gain weight just the same. It's all about marketing!

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:54pm
post #16 of 19

I just read an article that says the stuff that you guys are all buying is not in production anymore. That was made with 1-2 types of oil. The new improved recipe will have 2-3 types of oil that will eliminate trans fat. It's true it will still be a saturated fat and still not good, but the trans fat, that is being found to clog the arteries, will be gone with the change of the oils. So the new and improved version is not out yet and I still wonder how that will work with the different oils.

Sorry for the ramble.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:55pm
post #17 of 19

And let's all take the time to remember Olestra, the wonder fat that they promised would revolutionize the fast/fried foods industry, and all the visits to the rest room it caused? I cannot believe that they are going to put this on the shelf without a large test market, first. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Alison01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alison01 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:54am
post #18 of 19

This doesn't really have to do with 0 trans fat, but does anyone use the butter flavored crisco in the can? I usually by the plain, but they were out the other day so I bought butter. I haven't used it yet.

And I think I should get a sam's membership just so i can get the big things of crisco!

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:44am
post #19 of 19

There will probably never be a healthy shortening. The new push to get rid of trans fats has caused an increase in the use of palm oil, not really a healthy option either. This is a good article that explains the different fats:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/transfats.html

Apparently palm oil (which is in the NEW Crisco) plantations are ruining the rain forests too, and endangering animals.

http://cspinet.org/nah/06_05/cspinews.pdf

Olive oil frosting, anyone? I'll stick with buttercream, thanks! All things in moderation. I'll give up fried foods forever if I can just have real buttercream on my cakes, which I try to eat in moderation.[/u]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%