A 'cake Disaster'. I Don't Even Know Where To Start With This Mess.

Decorating By MBalaska Updated 19 Dec 2014 , 8:09am by MBalaska

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 10:38pm
post #31 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Marie 

OMG!  I haven't laughed this hard in a long time!  Thank you for that!  You might want to start on a side job as a comedian!  But, seriously, you are too hard on yourself!  The end result was just fine. 

Good!  Laughter is the best medicine.  A spoon full of sugar and all that Yes!

MBalaska Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 10:45pm
post #32 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

-- even though the skies were falling the skies were falling --

stop beating yourself up

Let the beating cease and desist.  I should be using my extra pent up energy to clean the house, catch up on the dishes, and laundry that's piling up.  As I really don't need 'Foxy Loxy' to lead me to his den and devour me.  Best to stop fretting about the falling sky.

MBalaska Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 10:47pm
post #33 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cazza1 

I am really wondering about what that black velvet cake would taste like considering that it has a whole bottle of black food colour.  YUK.

most people that read those recipes online must not know about concentrated paste or gel coloring.  I simply can't imagine a whole bottle of food coloring in any recipe.

MBalaska Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 10:51pm
post #34 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayajaya 

Thanks k8memphis!

Well MBalaska, you can say you had a smashing good time! I wonder if the tree chomper knows of her newfound fame? She's the latest comedy sensation, hahahaha.

I like the pastel flowers, they look like mums.  and love the taste of marshmallow & chocolate together.  Delicious.

Favorite Bogie film..........not Casablanca, not Maltese Falcon.....it's the Big Sleep  although the falcon is pretty close.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 12:50am
post #35 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

For all of the technique tutorials and classes we can buy, I'd like someone to start a 'Cake Design' business.

One of the talented professional cake designers who is artistic with hand drawings should sell custom hand drawn designs to Bozos like me.

I've done that before ;)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 12:58am
post #36 of 45

I have to add that the woman chowing down on a hard gumpaste tree was probably the kind of kid who would do something just because her mother said it wasn't a good idea. And your cake wasn't bad at all :)

MBalaska Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 1:22am
post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

For all of the technique tutorials and classes we can buy, I'd like someone to start a 'Cake Design' business.

One of the talented professional cake designers who is artistic with hand drawings should sell custom hand drawn designs to Bozos like me.

I've done that before ;)    

@costumeczar I may be taking you up on that in the future, (see how when we think we are inventing something new, it's never new and it's already been done.  I read that on your blog didn't I?? ;-D 

I’d might as well analyze my mess with lessons learned.

• Always clear the ‘airspace’ before operating camera equipment; so nothing will fall on your cake.
  • Always clear your ‘headspace’ before operating heavy equipment such as stand mixers, ovens & plunger cutters; Take a step back. Clear your mind. Refresh your perspective.
  • "Done is better than perfect"  -- Ben Barry  (also what –K8memphis says)
  • A bad attitude is like a flat tire…..if you don’t change it….you’ll never go anywhere.  Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.  Apparently that applies to cake-ing also.
  • “Keep Calm & Carry On” as the British Government says.
  • laughter is the best medicine, but if you're laughing for no reason you may need medicine. :cake:  or rum soaked fruitcake.
jayajaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayajaya Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 1:37am
post #38 of 45

My favourite Bogie would have to be Dark Passage... I saw it on telly one Saturday morning when I was about six... I remember being dead impressed. I was lucky enough to locate it on dvd for about $5... I still pull it out and watch it now and then. Still impressed!

I adored The African Queen as well, mostly because it was one of my favourite books, as a child. I just loved Rose's sheer grit and determination, and of course the ending in the book was much more satisfying. The way it's real, and gritty, and a bit sordid. Possibly unusual tastes for a child - I was always given free reign in my parents library, though... that may have had something to do with it! I always liked the ones where everything ended badly/everybody died. hahaha, and then I go making pink cupcakes.... hahahaha.

I really liked Bogie as Allnut, he really came across as that lowlife wastrel who wasn't all bad when push came to shove. I wish some of the younger ones would watch the old films. They positively don't realise what the world was like... it's all changed so rapidly in the last 60 odd years.

My Mum (only 63) remembers her Auntie being the last person on their street in Sydney being changed from gas to electricity... and now my Mum plays Assassin's Creed and World of Warcraft and uses all the technology etc etc. What a lifetime, to have seen and embraced all the changes!

Anyway, I'm rambling and completely off topic!

Thanks for the links everyone!

K8memphis...

Thanks for the recipe link, info, et al.

I'm going from memory and glimpses of other peoples oreos for the colour... I never want to be close enough to one again, to determine the colour for sure. One sniff and one taste off that overly sugared mess was enough for me. I truly can't see why anyone likes them! But a lot of people do. I have to say I put them in the reject pile with twinkies, jam rollettes and other inexplicable commercial phenomena.

Maybe the oreos for export are slightly different?

Well, we've all had a good laugh about the 'cake of doom'. You guys rock!

Now I gotta go and do a Christmas cake for next doors party. White chocolate snowflake theme. Here it's the middle of summer... go figure. I wanted her to have holly and pine cones, or along those lines in regular choc, but no, we gotta have snowflakes... (rolls eyes). I have moulds for snowflakes, but I like doing freehand sculpture better. Oh well, not my cake!

I'm assiduously keeping it away from any light fittings, or any other items liable to be flung about by poltergeists ;-)

Happy Decorating to All,

And to All a Good Ice!

MBalaska Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 3:16am
post #39 of 45

"The cake of doom"  yes my cake looks like your mom played 'World of Warcraft' on it.  he he  The troops were scampering between the tree lines for cover like good soldiers.   HA HA HA   Collateral damage.

cake disaster.

jayajaya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayajaya Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 9:49am
post #40 of 45

OMG... laughing fit to bust... I'm just picturing those giant troll things in archaic armour with their big axes crossing your cake... and shoving over the trees... just like Mum's game omg... my face is cracking again from laughing... 'along the path together' with our spears and swords and axes... and the little flowers! And their war paint on! I'm practically crying with laughter.

You crack me up so much. That's Brilliant! I wish I had some video of your cake... I'm sure I could doctor it to make the warriors climb up the side and run across the cake... oh my lord! Still laughing....

That's awesome.

7189de Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7189de Posted 16 Dec 2014 , 1:01pm
post #41 of 45

You did a great job!  I've done things I did't like however a buck is a buck. Stop being so hard on yourself. I don't think I would have wished the light to fall on it though. LOL It was a family cake unpaid for,next time do what you want.

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 6:10am
post #42 of 45

AI t think we all sort of lost focus for a moment... I think the question we should be asking is if the tree chomper dove into the trash can to retrieve the ones in there so she would have a midnight snack later that night!!

:USA:

MBalaska Posted 17 Dec 2014 , 10:31pm
post #43 of 45

Thank You @docofthedead  for bringing the thread back to the important issue.  :lol:   

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 2:53am
post #44 of 45

ALol...I aim to please! I usually miss, but my aim is improving! :USA:

MBalaska Posted 19 Dec 2014 , 8:09am
post #45 of 45

Well on a happy note, I guess it all turned out ok after all.  Today I got the feedback -- the chocolate cake & white cake was good, but the Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream was really loved by all.  Few people have tasted it before so it was a unique surprise hit.  Whew what a relief.  Time to move on to the next exiting adventure in baking & caking.

:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%