Edible Images On Fondant Sticking To Storage Bags!

Decorating By Louise1980 Updated 15 Nov 2014 , 11:36pm by Louise1980

Louise1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Louise1980 Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 2:45am
post #1 of 6

Hi I'm hoping someone can offer some advice? I'd love to offer my customers fondant disks with edible images on top, (for cupcakes) I've made some before and the only way I could think to safely store them for the customer was to put each fondant disk into its own individual little snap lock bag. I made sure the fondant was dried out (I left them for a few days just to be sure!) and then once in their little snap lock bags I then wrapped them up in a bit of bubble wrap for extra protection. 

About a week later the lady contacted me and said her images were stuck to the plastic snap lock bags - lucky she's a friend of ours so she was cool with it, but she said she left the plastic on them and just cut around the outside. I was so upset as I put everything I have into just making one product. I love making customers happy and was really frustrated that they had stuck.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future? I haven't tried adding Tylose powder to the fondant (Satin Ice) as of yet but have read a few things on it. I made some other fondant toppers the other day and even after drying them out completely after a few days being in a snap lock bag the fondant becomes soft.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :grin: 

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 6

It's probably the water you are using to stick the EI to the fondant that is the problem. I would suggest cutting out the fondant, glueing the EI on it, and THEN leaving it for a few days to dry before packaging. 

Louise1980 Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 9:00am
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much for your help :) I've looked up tylose glue and have made some - do you think they will still be ok to put in a plastic snap lock bag for my customer? I hope they don't stick again :(

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 11:29am
post #4 of 6

AI think it was being in air tight . If I want to seal up dried fondant or gum paste pieces for storage, I put a couple desiccant packets in the container. Just my thoughts:-) .

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 6

I have shipped fondant toppers with edible images without having them stick.  I use marshmallow fondant and do not add any tylose.  The edible image goes on when the fondant is still "fresh," then is allowed to dry for a few days with the edible image on.  Once dry I use a product called Press'n Seal Freezer (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dpantry&field-keywords=press%20n%20seal&sprefix=press+n+se%2Caps%2C178) to wrap them.  Basically I put one sheet down, place the toppers about an inch or two apart, then put another sheet on top and seal around each topper.  This keeps them clean & prevents them from bumping in to each other.  I can then stack the sheet in a box with bubble wrap between them.  They did not stick to the paper.  However, if you don't have something similar where you live, maybe just don't seal the bags all the way & if it's humid, do put a dessicant packet in the box.   

Louise1980 Posted 15 Nov 2014 , 11:36pm
post #6 of 6

wow thank you so very much for all of the helpful information - I'd love to be able to mail fondant cupcake toppers and figurines but have always been too scared they'd get all smashed up in the box - wish there was a tutorial on how to mail fondant things haha!

Thanks again so very much :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%