Sps - Using Wilton Pillars With The Base Cut Off!

Decorating By HobbyHead Updated 14 Nov 2014 , 2:01pm by HobbyHead

HobbyHead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyHead Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride wanting a 2 tier cake... she JUST informed me yesterday that she would like the top tier on pillars with a few inches between the tiers. I have NEVER used pillars- always just stacked my cakes. This being said, I've done quite a bit of research and it seems with just 2 tiers, I'd be fine with the SPS- just pushing the pillars down through the cake to the base... SO, last night I drove to the nearest town with actual civilization but could only find the regular Wilton roman pillars 7" tall. I bought a 4 pack and a 10" plate for the top tier. I figured I could cut the base off just above the square part and just push them down through the cake like you would the Bakery Craft brand.

Has anyone ever done this? Does this seem feasible? I don't see why it wouldn't work- I'm going to stack it on site, so won't have to transport it.

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 8

AFirst off SPS is the proper name of a Bakery a crafts product. The W stuff are generally called pillars or Hidden Pillars. They are not the same.

And to answer your question, yes you push the pillars in and set the plate on top (W brand products) or push the plate and leg assembly in (Bakery Crafts products.) It really makes no difference if the cake is stacked (no airspace between the tiers) or pillars (

HobbyHead Posted 11 Nov 2014 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks for the info, Leah! So, you think I could just cut off the bottom of the wilton pillars and be fine doing it like this? (I wanted to make clear that these are the regular pillars for a 2 plate system- they have the top and bottom square part).  It "seems" logical, but I don't want to attempt it if people tell me I'm crazy! :grin:  Oh, and you recommend that I push the pillars in first, then put the plate on top, as opposed to assembling the legs/plate and then pushing it all into the cake?

I assume that I could put some icing on top of the plate to "glue" the cake board to it for the top tier.

Thanks again for any info you can provide. It is much appreciated!!

leah_s Posted 12 Nov 2014 , 4:15am
post #4 of 8

AYou can do it either way. I don't understand what you're cutting off, but whatever it is, I wouldn't do it.

HobbyHead Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 8

Does that make sense? It would be just like the normal "hidden pillars"...right? :) I know, I'm being a pain! Just don't want to attempt it and ruin the cake. I can't find any of the others around here since I live in the middle of nowhere.

FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 8

You should make a cake, try it and then if it works pull it out and wash it and re-use it. If you don't have enough time for that, tell your bride no. You shouldn't let your customers make last minute demands. If this cake falls, its your reputation, not hers. 

leah_s Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 8

So, why not just buy and use the push in pillars?

HobbyHead Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 8

I would love to buy and use the push-in pillars, but there aren't any in my area. I drove 30 miles to get the only ones I could find. (I live in the boonies!) I could have ordered them if I had more time.

Thank you both for the good advice! I like the idea of making a cake to try it on! Also, you're totally right- I need to stern up a bit and tell people "NO" every once in a while! :) Still learning- and that seems to be the hardest part!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%