Critique Me! Wedding Cake

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 31 Oct 2014 , 1:48am by Bunny0410

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 14

Here are a  wedding cake I did...I'd love to get your input, please.  I really stressed over this cake, and if it weren't for the wonderful people that helped me through it, I'd have never past that day alive!!!!   :grin:

I'm so glad it's over, but excited to do my next one!!!

Stay Sweet!
Christina

13 replies
mrsmac888 Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 14
dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 14

I don't see a picture :-(

There it is! Very pretty, beautiful roses.

stefkovic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stefkovic Posted 27 Oct 2014 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 14

Your Picture of your cake is not there.

mrsmac888 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 14

Bump

lisatipperoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisatipperoo Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 14

Very pretty, level cakes with sharp edges. Is this buttercream? It's very nice. I love the colors and your piping is symmetrical and even. Nice job. 

emy fadel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emy fadel Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 14

AIt looks pretty, nice job ;)

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 5:39pm
post #8 of 14

Very clean design.  I would personally have used a slightly narrower ribbon, and I'm not sure about the colours, but if that's what you were given to work with, it went well.

I feel like the roses get a little bit swamped by the sheer size of the cake - maybe bigger ones next time so that they are more noticeable.

Good job overall!

mrsmac888 Posted 29 Oct 2014 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you for all your nice comments on my wedding cake. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisatipperoo 

Very pretty, level cakes with sharp edges. Is this buttercream? It's very nice. I love the colors and your piping is symmetrical and even. Nice job. 

Thank you, lisatipperoo!  Yes, it's all buttercream.  I was quite happy with the smooth finish.  My consistency turned out perfect!  I don't know how I did it!  I was pretty upset with the piping, I think it's lousy!  I thought I was doing great, until I stepped back and looked at it.  Practice, practice, practice!!!

To LizzieAylett:  I agree with you.  The ribbon was too wide, I tried and tried to find one that was more narrow, but not too narrow and could not.  Thanks for the note on the roses, yes they should have been bigger.  I also agree on the colors, I actually didn't like it at all.  But the bride and her mother LOVED it, so I guess that is all that matters.

On another note...look at the cake topper.  I thought it was AWFUL!  It didn't fit the look of the cake at all.  Is it ever okay to tell a bride that something that she picks to put on a cake won't look right on the finished product?

Christina

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 12:27am
post #10 of 14

And P.S.   No, it's never ok to tell the bride she made a mistake choosing her cake topper.  Who knows, maybe her grandmother just died and this was something she gave the bride at her shower just before she bit the big one so it has sentimental value.  You can never tell.  The only time I comment on a topper is if it's too large, too small and needs something around it to fill it out or it's too top-heavy. 

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 12:33am
post #11 of 14

I think you did a great job. Not crazy about their color choices but your work looks super!

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 9:38pm
post #12 of 14

Ait's very nice. I would have covered the cake board in fondant/gumpaste. I usually cover th cake board ahead of time because I know that after working on a cake, I am exhausted and do not want to spend more time on things like cake boards.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2014 , 11:40pm
post #13 of 14

Anearly flawless silhouette and yes I agree with you, your piping needs work -- a good job but the piping looks like it was done by someone other than the one who iced it -- also noteworthy is the nice uniform smoothy smooth icing

Bunny0410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunny0410 Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 1:48am
post #14 of 14

Piping a bright colour onto white is always nerve racking.. My hands tremour just thinking about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%