Transferring Wedding Cake To Stand?

Decorating By CassiaM Updated 16 Oct 2014 , 7:31pm by CassiaM

CassiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CassiaM Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 10

Hello all,

I am making wedding cupcakes and a 6" cake for the b&g for a wedding on Saturday, and it is my first one. :) I think I have everything figured out except for transferring the 6" cake from the box to the cake stand. The cake is very simple, here is a picture of what they want: 10705019_10152717377635883_746930884_n.jpg?oh=ba7ea79333044b41b9e7b1f781685f25&oe=5440D43D&__gda__=1413531849_c8ae29d3004f384ccc31e0f5145378a5

I have a small box - I think it is 7", or I could use my cake carrier which is 12" to transport it, I just think the box looks better. I also have cake boards (just the white Wilton kind), and I was originally just thinking of keeping the cake on the board and sliding that out of the box, and onto the cake stand. The bride sent a picture of the cake stand that they are using and I believe it is white, but it could be silver - hard to tell from the picture, so I will clarify. Anyway, I'm just not sure how to present this cake! Should I cover the board in foil if it's a silver cake stand and leave the board just as is, if it's white? Should I get boards the exact size of the cake so you can't see it peeking out from underneath, or use a board a couple inches bigger than the cake itself? Should I attempt to slide the cake off of the board and onto the cake stand?

Icing the cake on site isn't an option because I am a guest at the wedding (brother in law is the groom) and won't be able to bring all my icing stuff with me, plus change of clothes, etc..

Thanks!! :) I look forward to any replies. Any helpful information is more than welcome, as I'm a tad nervous about my first rodeo.

9 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 10

I usually put all my 1 tier cakes on a cake drum that is 1 size larger than the cake itself. So a 6" cake would go on an 8" drum, which I would decorate in the same manner as the cake. In your photo, you have a rustic type buttercream, so I would do the same effect on the drum or at least ice it smooth. An ivory or white ribbon would be glued on the edge of the drum to hide the silver. This would travel in an 8" cake box, and when you get there simply remove the cake/drum from the box and set it on top of the stand she has provided. 

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 10

You always use a cake board that's the same size of your cake and a base that is bigger than the cake. I usually cover my base with fondant. Here's something I made for basic cake stacking that maybe can help you visualize how to use the cake board and the base.

CassiaM Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you for the replies! Sorry for sounding ignorant, but what would an example of a cake base be? Like, if I use the drum as the first reply suggests covered in icing to match the cake, is it still necessary to use a cake board the same size as the cake? This is a small, 1 layer, 6" cake. I am thinking of doubling up the cake drums to make the transfer from the box to the cake stand a little sturdier. And I've confirmed with the bride that the cake stand is indeed white, so I am thinking a white ribbon would look nice wrapped around the edge of the drum. Then I don't have to worry about the ivory icing exactly matching an ivory ribbon.

Thanks again for the replies, they are extremely helpful to me!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 10

ALik the other posters stated a cake drum is perfect. I glue a card board cake board to the cake drum. The drums are sturdy enough for large cakes. I deliver 5 tier cakes on them all the time. So it can handle a 6" cake.

Here is a link: http://www.globalsugarart.com/round-inch-foil-drums-c-869_439.html

I don't decorate the board unless the client pays for that, and with the cake you posted - it just wouldn't be worth it.

I my pics is several cupcake towers I have done with cutting cakes. Take a look to see the look: http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/2241468/cupcake-wedding/ http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/2241470/cupcake-wedding/ http://www.cakecentral.com/g/i/2241473/cupcake-wedding/

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 10

A cake drum and a cake base are the same. You can use a foam core board http://www.nycake.com/round6foamcoreboard-1-1-1-1-1.aspx or cake drums like this http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=pg_silvercakebases. You still need to use a cake board/circle like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Z-B%2BX2AlL.jpg so that your cake won't be touching the base/drum.

CassiaM Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 8:27pm
post #7 of 10

Okay, got it. :) So, put the cake on a 6" board (same size as the cake), which will be glued (?) to the drum? Decorating the drum is optional, and by decorating I mean icing the same way as the cake and putting a ribbon around the edge.

Just out of curiosity, why can't you just put the cake directly onto the iced drum? I am (obviously!) not a professional, I'm doing this for my brother in law and his soon to be wife, because they asked me to! It is my pleasure to do it, and I just really want them to love the outcome so I will do whatever looks best.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Oct 2014 , 10:52pm
post #8 of 10

AMost of us use a thin cake board the same size as the cake since it gives you a good round shape/guide to ice your cake up against - most cakes shrink a little on baking so the 1/8" or 1/4" gap you get between the 6" cake and the 6" board would be filled with icing. You would then glue the board with the iced cake on onto the drum using royal icing, ganache, or a smear of buttercream. You can do the cake straight onto the drum if you want though. And I think a decorated drum looks much nicer than leaving it silver, but each to their own.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 10

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti 

You would then glue the board with the iced cake on onto the drum using royal icing, ganache, or a smear of buttercream. You can do the cake straight onto the drum if you want though. And I think a decorated drum looks much nicer than leaving it silver, but each to their own.

Or you can glue the cake board to the drum with a hot glue gun - that is what I do. It is very secure that way. There is no chance it will move.

I order white cake drums from Global Sugar Art. In most cases I don't feel the drum needs decorated because it is white and matches already.

CassiaM Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you so much for the replies, all this information has been sooo helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%