Husband Doesn't Like Smbc. Can This Marriage Be Saved?

Decorating By Cevamal Updated 17 Oct 2014 , 2:04pm by costumeczar

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Oct 2014 , 11:55pm
post #31 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by waggs 

The best fix is seperate bedrooms! Works wonders!

absolutely @waggs, especially for shift workers.    Save this marriage !!!!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 12:29am
post #32 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

Just made a batch of IMBC and SMBC side by side with same ingredients ( 1.5 cups whites, 2.5 cups sugar, 1.5 lbs butter) except the IMBC had Cream of tartar added.  They made up to the same amount (about 10 cups each) and I could not taste any difference.  I still find SMBC to be a little neater, easier. and faster.  I admit I only whisk occasionally not constantly, and have never had any problems with the whites cooking.  (I bring it to 160 degrees ).  Right after adding the sugar syrup to the beaten whites in IMBC, I measured the temperature in several spots and it varied from 140 to 145 degrees.  The whites were about 75 degrees which is room temperature here today before adding the syrup.  I put it all in the freezer, so can't tell yet if they handle or hold up any differently on a cake.  I had some extra eggs and can always use more frosting in the freezer, so just did this for fun, and FYI.

IMBC is more stable than SMBC and is better for piping.

Well I might just have to switch back!  thanks for the tip.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 1:52am
post #33 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cevamal 

Adding corn syrup wouldn't be the same thing unless your corn syrup is half egg whites.

But damn, now I want to make two batches of SMBC and compare. My husband is really going to hate you. icon_wink.gif

Heh heh heh...

costumeczar Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 1:58am
post #34 of 37

Oh, and the egg whites/sugar combo won't give you the same volume if you dump it into butter and beat it as making a meringue. So the buttercream might have the same ingredients but it will never be as light in texture. Like when you try to add gelatin to something without blooming and heating it first. The gelatin might still be in it but it won't work the same way.

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 12:03pm
post #35 of 37

AMy (as yet untested) theory is it will give the same volume because you lose the air in the meringue when you beat in the butter.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 1:57pm
post #36 of 37
Quote:
I love it because it tastes like sweetened butter. icon_biggrin.gif

That's exactly why my husband loves SMBC, and why I hate it. I like the sweet stuff and he likes the buttery stuff.

@costumeczar: I just put my cold feet on my husband and he turns his alarm off. I get my feet warmed up and he turns off that annoying clock. Win win! :lol: 

costumeczar Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 2:04pm
post #37 of 37

Oh, and the egg whites/sugar syrup added in to butter and whipped wont'

give you the same volume as making a meringue, so it's just never going to be as light as an SMBC if you use a pre-cooked syrup.

Quote:

My (as yet untested) theory is it will give the same volume because you lose the air in the meringue when you beat in the butter.

You really don't lose that much volume when you put the butter into IMBC, I can't vouch for SMBC because I don't make it. I made some IMBC this morning, and I actually paid attention this time. It maintains the fluffy texture and volume when you put the butter in, it doesn't reduce very much at all. Pouring the hot sugar syrup into the meringue sets the structure of the meringue so I guess that makes the meringue resist deflating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%