Vertical Embossed Lines In Fondant

Decorating By mrsgreshcakes Updated 14 Oct 2014 , 10:42am by Magic Mouthfuls

mrsgreshcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsgreshcakes Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,


I'm stumped!  How do I achieve the look that's on the top tier?  This is not my cake (obviously) but a picture sent from a client.


Thank you!




5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 6

It looks to me like those are small/thin rolls placed on the cake.  For me that would be the easiest way to go :)

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 9:37pm
post #3 of 6

AYou can also try doing it by embossing with a ruler or triangle held vertically, but your fondant needs to be quite thick.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 6:04am
post #4 of 6

AI'd go with what kakeladi said. Fondant rolls... Dayti's idea with the ruler is surely easier / faster, but you would loose the round curves. Just an idea...why don't you pipe the rolls on? Need good piping skills, but that would combine both in one, fast and round.

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 9:22am
post #5 of 6

I'm sure you can find some kind of item at the craft store to use as a type of impression mat in order to give you that effect without all that work.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 10:42am
post #6 of 6

You could buy a "ribbed smocking rolling pin" - there's a few different ones on the market. You might find it just as easy to indent with a ruler and gently wiggle back & forth to round out the edge a bit.  I did this once to imitate wool on a ball of wool cake - it was sufficient, but I like the rolling pin tool better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%