Which Do You Prefer: White Or Yellow Cake?

Baking By Cevamal Updated 13 Oct 2014 , 8:02pm by MBalaska

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 2:07am
post #1 of 7

As a kid our standard birthday cake was yellow cake (from a mix) with chocolate frosting (from a can).

Yellow cake with chocolate frosting is my preference to this day, although now I make them both from scratch.

I bought FromScratchSF's cake recipe and am in love. The yellow cake is to die for. I tried making the white cake and...eh.

I'm curious whether it's just me? Do other people genuinely prefer the taste and texture of white cake? Or is it just about aesthetics? Obviously if you want the cake to be white, or to dye it anything but a yellow-based color (yellow/green/orange), then you'd need to start with white cake.

6 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 3:26am
post #2 of 7

I guess you could say that I cheat, as I make my white scratch cake with butter, so it's really delicious.

what I like about white cake is the ability to put any kind of fruit filling inside, giving a nice focus on the fruit flavors.

and a good yellow butter cake can be eaten without anything else at all.  just cake!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 9:01am
post #3 of 7

My yellow cake is like a kids drawing of the sun yellow! I keep my own hens who go off on long daily adventures to God knows where eating things hens should eat...and possibly things I dont want to think about. 

I'll never forget the feeding frenzy when a large frog was disturbed in the log pile and was tipped out into the light of day. There was nothing left within minutes.I was actually asked once if I used a dye in my cake because of the colour, but its just the egg yolks. You're right Ms Alaska its a great cake especially with freshly grated lemon peel and some caraway seed just tray baked cut into fingers and drizzled with a crunchy lemon and sugar topping while still warm......off to have some now x

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 7

Acakebaby-- caraway seed -- how interesting -- never heard of that before -- have to try it -- so caraway with lemon peel/zest -- wow sounds really good -- I will let you know when i try it but it might be a while -- gotta loose a few pounds

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 7

AI baked the white cake with butter, too. It still couldn't hold a candle to the yellow!

Mine is seriously yellow too. I can't have chickens here but I get them from someone with his own backyard chickens.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 7

cant beat those greedy little feathered gals when left to their own devices. K8 lovely combo...in shortbread"ancient Sicilian" wedding tribute/Celtic?  really nice  with obviously, unwaxed lemons.

For Easter cookies these are trad and the biz with a really "short" shortbread. Old fashioned but to die for xx

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Oct 2014 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 7

you guys must not have voted as it's still 3 for white and one for yellow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%