How Do These Physics-Defying Cakes Work???

Decorating By emarcomd Updated 9 Oct 2014 , 10:51pm by costumeczar

emarcomd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emarcomd Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 12:57am
post #1 of 4

I was looking around for cakes to inspire a frog cake I'm trying to make, and I stumbled across a few that just seem like they were made on some alternate planet where the forces of gravity can be turned off at will.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how the front of these things are supported!   I'm guessing there's a dowel at a 45 degree angle somewhere in there, and cardboard... but still... 

WHAT BLACK MAGIC IS THIS?

I totally understand if this is a cake-maker's hard-earned secret and shouldn't be given away.  After all, I'm not a pro and haven't earned my stripes.  But it just boggles my mind, so I'm super curious.

This one, I'm guessing there's a board at 45 degrees somewhere?  But - wait - no, it'd fall, right?  Or maybe there's wires in the arms that support the cardboard that holds the frog's body?  Holy crap that's complicated.  Am I even close?

And this one is just RIDICULOUS.  I don't even know how you'd *cut* that cake, never mind make it.

3 replies
cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 4

AI have no idea but I they're awesome!

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 4

I would PM the original artist and ask. :D

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 4

AThose are all generally done with a series of pipes and supports that are attached to the base board to create an armature, then they're covered in modeling chocolate or fondant with a little bit of cake involved. Th first one is similar to one I did once. For that, I used a corrugated plastic board that i melted and bent to the angle to hold the head up, and the head was the cake part.

When you see things that are really seriously cantilevered and supported by very angled supports, there usually isn't a lot of heavy cake involved. People use stuff like rice krispies or styrofoam and cover that with edible coverings. Then call it a cake. In th second one, if the frog itself is cake it's probably just the back of the frog. I can't tell what the real angle is because of hte camera angle, but there's no way that the legs etc are cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%