How Do I?

Decorating By Bakeaholic2014 Updated 2 Oct 2014 , 1:37am by maybenot

Bakeaholic2014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakeaholic2014 Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 4

Hello!!

Fairly new to the cake world! I am looking for your ideas on how to make metalic shiney icing (or royal icing) I need something "edible" of course that is REALLY shiney and metal like in apperance!

What would you suggest!? ...OH and also something that would not slide off easy as the project I am working on with be straight up and down (will have some height)

THANKS A LOT!! :D

3 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 4

You would have to dust, tint or airbrush the icing to get a real metallic look,

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 1 Oct 2014 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 4

Duff carries "Cake Graffiti" edible aerosol sprays in gold and silver.  Don't know if it will give you the finish you're looking for, but might be worth a look into.

I bought the one I've got at Michaels.  My disclaimer is that I haven't used it yet.  :D

I also have a small pot of silver dust that I've used, and it works fairly well to give a metallic look.  Just mix with the tiniest bit of vodka and paint it on.  If it's a large piece, I would suggest that it be removed from the cake before consuming.  It is edible apparently, but is meant for highlighting, not consuming in large quantity.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 1:37am
post #4 of 4

Wilton, PME, and ChefMaster also make canned metallic sprays that work very well.  When I tried to use some Duff's, the sprayer didn't work.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%