Mmf Issues. Please Help!

Decorating By rociodbb Updated 29 Sep 2014 , 2:43pm by rexygirl

rociodbb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rociodbb Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 12:23am
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

I´ve searched through the site about MMF but I would like to pick your brains about it.

I´ve done MMF, let it rest (actually done it way ahead of time, a week) and then used it. It seems to be flimsy and too stretchy/elastic compared to Buff´s fondant (the one I´ve used until now). The following time, I mixed MMF with store bought fondant (Buff´s) and even some sugar paste. I used this mixture for making some thin Lego pieces and left to dry for 4-5 days. When I went to use it, it was still soft! Also, some other amount of that mixture was used to cover a cake, and when I did it, it was a disaster: You could see "bubbles" in the surface (it was colored green, you could see paler green bubbles in the fondant, not raised, but it was like imprinted in the fondant), also every single flaw in my buttercream was visible, even the tiniest that the other fondant would cover. And the worst was the stretching! It teared apart in one side and I had holes in my cake! It was horrible! I did have to mix for a long time, since was a lot of fondant (around 2lbs) and I had the other things in, and also the color, but I did it 3-4 days in advance, so it rested a lot!

Is there something I´m missing or not doing right? Is there hope for a 100% MMF recipe instead of having to mix in store bought fondant? I really prefer the MMF flavor but I think I would sacrifice it in a hearbeat if it means that my cake will be flawless with the store bought fondant.

Please help!

THANK YOU!

7 replies
rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 12:58am
post #2 of 8

AWhen I first started I only used mmf and had constant problems and thought I just wasn't good with fondant until I made Michele fosters fondant the recipe is on cc it's amazing! So much easier to work with the flavor is great and u can add whatever kind of extract u like to specialize your flavors! My 2 cents ditch the mmf!! Nothing but headache, I know some people say it depends on the marshmallows u use, but Id rather not take chances mff (Michele fosters fondant) comes out great every time!

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 1:35am
post #3 of 8

AI only use MMF made with store bought marshmallows and so far i've had success with it. The expensive kind makes a very soft and sticky MMF so i stopped using it and used walmart brand. The recipe i use is:

Bag of regular size marshmallows (454 g) 8 cups icing sugar 1/2 cup crisco 1 tbsp clear vanilla 1-2 tbsp water

I've used this recipe for about 3 yrs now and i love it. And i've used it during different canadian seasons (winter, spring, summer and fall). If yours is too stretchy, maybe you need to add more icing sugar? While rolling i poke all airbubbles with a needle. I use cornstarch to roll my fondant. I wish you success in finding a fondant brand/recipe that would work best for you :)

Inga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inga1 Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 2:16am
post #4 of 8

MMF is all I have used up to now. Have had no issues with it. This week I tried the new version of the Wilton fondant. I used a tool called THE MAT, to roll it out and place it on my cake. It was amazing. No adding powder sugar, just roll it out and easily lay i on the cake. Flawless. The new Wilton fondant tastes like a marshmallow fondant.

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 8

Couple of things:

1) Duff's (I think that's what you are talking about) NEVER dries hard for me, so mixing that with your MMF would be the reason they never dried hard

2) It will take a bit of trial and error to figure out how much powdered sugar you need in your MMF - Depending on the weather/humidity I add more/less and go by feel.

3) Then little air bubbles are from not enough kneading after letting it sit.  When you knead it you're going to push it down, turn it, stand it on its end, and push it down on itself

4) If it is too stretchy you did not add enough powdered sugar - you can add in more while kneading but it takes some time

Hope that helps - good luck!

saharlatheef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saharlatheef Posted 28 Sep 2014 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 8

I've been making MMF for about almost 2 years now and it's absolutely brilliant for me! 
I use them for all my cakes and they never give me any trouble *touchwood*
I got the recipe from Jessicakes on her Craftsy class. I never buy readymade fondant anymore. I use 2 tbsp of corn syrup in the mixture, maybe that does the trick? It helps to make it very stretchy. I don't have a set measurement anymore, if I think the water I've added is a bit more when I'm melting the marshmallows I end up adding a bit more icing sugar, but it works all the time :) 
I guess it's just practice! And do check up that recipe, it's wonderful! 

rociodbb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rociodbb Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 2:31pm
post #7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga1 

MMF is all I have used up to now. Have had no issues with it. This week I tried the new version of the Wilton fondant. I used a tool called THE MAT, to roll it out and place it on my cake. It was amazing. No adding powder sugar, just roll it out and easily lay i on the cake. Flawless. The new Wilton fondant tastes like a marshmallow fondant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dukeswalker 

Couple of things:

1) Duff's (I think that's what you are talking about) NEVER dries hard for me, so mixing that with your MMF would be the reason they never dried hard

2) It will take a bit of trial and error to figure out how much powdered sugar you need in your MMF - Depending on the weather/humidity I add more/less and go by feel.

3) Then little air bubbles are from not enough kneading after letting it sit.  When you knead it you're going to push it down, turn it, stand it on its end, and push it down on itself

4) If it is too stretchy you did not add enough powdered sugar - you can add in more while kneading but it takes some time

Hope that helps - good luck!

Thank you all for you replies!!

I would have to try the new Wilton fondant before I think about switching, and even then, I would rather try to do a homemade version, since it´s cheaper. I did order The Mat, but it´s still in the mail so I couldn´t use it for my latest cake. I do hope that will help me a lot with my fondant issues!

YES, sorry! it was Duff´s!! that´s what happens when you type after a couple of days of intense cake decorating with stretchy fondant :( No, it doesn´t dry hard, but I expected that with the sugar paste it would be a lot more stiff than it was. I do think sometimes that I need more powdered sugar in my MMF, but it seems that at one point it´s not incorporating it anymore no matter how long I keep kneading so I have stopped adding. I do have at least a third of the whole bag left thought, and it´s what´s made me think that powdered sugar amount could be my issue.

Dukeswalker, the way you describe kneading is different than what I do, maybe that´s it? I usually knead between my hands and more with my fingers....wonder if that´s making the difference?

I´ve read about another home made fondant recipe: Michele Fosters Fondant. I may give that one a try to see if it makes a difference. THANKS again for your input!

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 29 Sep 2014 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 8

AYup Michel fosters fondant is the best!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%