Sweet Cake

Baking By aprildaisy Updated 19 Sep 2014 , 12:38pm by aprildaisy

aprildaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprildaisy Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 3

I came across a sugar cake recipe and fell in love with the fact that a cake could be just sweet enough and not need icing. This also helps my almost three year old not get into the icing because there is none. 

I found a recipe the other day and this is how it's listed: 

1 cup flour

1 cup cornstarch

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup butter

1 1/4 cup sugar

2 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup milk

6 egg whites

Cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes, makes one loaf

This is how I modified it: 

1 cup flour

1 cup cornstarch

1 tsp baking powder

1 cup margarine

1 1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup milk

3 eggs

In my little toaster oven, when a cake says cook at 350, I normally cook it at 325 and it comes out perfect. This time I tried to do the same thing, but the top was getting too well cooked halfway before it was done. 

I'm now thinking maybe I could have put some foil over the top to keep that from happening? Also, maybe I could turn the temp down some...not quite sure about that part. 

Any ideas? 

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Sep 2014 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 3

i had a toaster oven that advised against using foil tents so there's that -- and beyond that i would suggest you just find a recipe you like and half it -- like this one but bake it in a 8x8 sq pan 

http://homecooking.about.com/od/cakerecipes/r/blc13.htm

to this recipe i add an extra quarter cup of flour and i add the eggs to the creamed butter/sugar and beat well -- i do not separate and whip up the whites and yolks -- i add them right out of the shell -- for a more white cake i remove most of the egg yolks -- this cake is really really good but i do not put any cakes made with butter into the fridge because they do not bounce back to room temp -- the butter stiffens it up 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

or this one would work better in a loaf pan

Chanlette's Pound Cake

• 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 6 eggs
  • 3 cups flour*
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla**

cream sugar and butter really well-- add eggs one at a time -- add vanilla --alternately add flour & cream -- beat on about speed 4-5 for two minutes after all in incorporated --

do NOT preheat oven -- place in cold oven 350 degrees for 70 minutes -- makes about 8 cups of batter if memory serves -- fits in a 10 cup bundt pan -- *if you use all purpose flour it's a heartier cake -- using cake flour gives a finer crumb -- **i add a lot of vanilla ;)

there are several variations of this formula -- google 'cold oven pound cake'

best baking to you!

aprildaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprildaisy Posted 19 Sep 2014 , 12:38pm
post #3 of 3

I've been doing a little research and apparently, this recipe should be baked in the cold oven method as you suggested. That's what I'll do. Thank you! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%