Have You Ever Been Shorted On A Cake?

Lounge By FlRugbyChick Updated 14 Sep 2014 , 6:24am by morganchampagne

FlRugbyChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlRugbyChick Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 14

AI once had a girl ask for a dairy free cake for her son who was allergic. The first price I quote was out of her budget. We came to an agreement that she would buy all the ingredients with food stamps and then pay me $25 cash.

Then at the last minute she asked for a smash cake. I told her it was too late, but threw in 1 cupcake for free. When she came to pick it up all she had was $22, and said she would come back with the other 3.

I knew right away I was never gonna see that $3. I really needed the money, and didn't want to be stuck with the cake so I gave it to her.

What would ya'll have done in this situation?

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 14

Aaccidentally dropped it top down

-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 14

Anaw not for three bucks but I would never have taken the order in the first place -- you lost more than 10% of your price --

FlRugbyChick Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 14

AI fell for her sob story. We went shopping together and she did spend $24 on ingredients. I don't know if she was trying to get over on me, or just genuinely couldn't come up with the rest.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 14

This too happened to me once, the woman came to pick up (she had put down the 50% deposit at ordering). She came and completely loved the cake and raved and raved and then dropped the bomb.."I didn't bring my wallet, I'll etransfer you the money later". Right ok...At which point I said "I'm sorry that won't work for me..the remainder is due at pick up before I can give you the cake; it's written on the invoice I sent you after you made your deposit". 

And that's when the real life miracle happened right before my eyes...she went to her car and suddenly there was her wallet, with a debit card and all; she paid the remained and took her cake and went. 

Some people will try ANYTHING  to get something for a discount; just because it would never occur to you or me to do something like that, there are genuinely people in the world that just don't care..whether its half off or $3 off they don't see a problem with it. You need to stand up for yourself and your work, don't let anyone take you for a ride. 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 14

this still shocks me -- we were picking up a car we bought from an individual and she said, "oh since we just moved we can't find the title --we'll get it to you later"  :lol: again like gingerlocks said, as if merlin himself waved his magic wand they found it within a very few minutes of us saying "no" srsly who does that?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 12:29am
post #7 of 14

I hope that you were able to keep any leftover ingredients???  That should be a little salve on the wound.

FlRugbyChick Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 1:03am
post #8 of 14

AYes, there were a few extra eggs, Crisco and marshmallows.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 3:00am
post #9 of 14

.........We went shopping together and she did spend $24 on ingredients.......

Yes, BUT......since she used food stamps she got those ingredients for FREE!  Food stamps are given to people for free. (I know because I've had to start using them.)

I can't remember any of the details but yeah I was shorted..........and not a small single digit amount.

maybenot Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 14

Whoa, Nelly! 

She may not have gotten those food stamps as wages for labor, but they are her currency that she now has $24 less of because she wanted a nice birthday cake for her child.  She didn't offer up the stamps as full payment [something others do--and it is illegal for a home baker to accept.  Walmart & many grocery stores accept them for cakes in their baking depts.].  She actually worked with the baker.  She also had every right to ask for the leftover ingredients because her "stamps" paid for them.

I'm sure if someone stole $24 of your food stamps [NO, I'M NOT ACCUSING THE OP OF ANY FORM OF STEALING, I'M MAKING AN EXAMPLE], you'd feel that you LOST $24.

In no way did this mother get a free cake OR a cake for $22.  She'll now have to work with what she has left until the end of the month, just as the rest of us do when we're using cash from our wallets.

I don't know if the leftovers made the OP whole as far as the $25 vs. $22.  I'd say that it's pretty close. I'm sure that the child in a home where $ and extravagances are limited thoroughly enjoyed having a memorable birthday cake.

FlRugbyChick Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 14

AThat's mostly why I worked it out with her. Plus she might not have been able to get a dairy free cake from Wal-Mart or publix.every kid deserves to have a cake for their birthday.

maybenot Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 1:19am
post #12 of 14

Absolutely.  You did the right thing. 

I know that it's not something that you can afford to do every time, but in this instance, you were an invaluable resource for her because, no, she couldn't have gotten a specialty ingredient cake from WalMart or Publix. 

Karma works both ways--it'll come back to you in a good way, I'm sure.

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 6:17am
post #13 of 14

AWhether she deserved to get the remaining ingredients back depended on her agreement with the OP.

Also this wasn't her only option to get a dairy free cake for her kid. She could have made one herself. No one's birthday is going to be ruined because their cake wasn't professionally decorated.

The OP was incredibly kind to work with this woman and being shorted is a slap in the face.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 14 Sep 2014 , 6:24am
post #14 of 14

A

Original message sent by Gingerlocks

This too happened to me once, the woman came to pick up (she had put down the 50% deposit at ordering). She came and completely loved the cake and raved and raved and then dropped the bomb.."I didn't bring my wallet, I'll etransfer you the money later". [I]Right ok[/I]...At which point I said "I'm sorry that won't work for me..the remainder is due at pick up before I can give you the cake; it's written on the invoice I sent you after you made your deposit". 

And that's when the real life miracle happened right before my eyes...she went to her car and suddenly there was her wallet, with a debit card and all; she paid the remained and took her cake and went. 

Some people will try [U][I]ANYTHING [/I][/U] to get something for a discount; just because it would never occur to you or me to do something like that, there are genuinely people in the world that just don't care..whether its half off or $3 off they don't see a problem with it. You need to stand up for yourself and your work, don't let anyone take you for a ride. 

A miracle indeed Lmao!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%