Woodland Bakery Vanilla Cake Recipe Problem

Baking By vmanbakes Updated 21 Feb 2015 , 1:22am by FlourPots

vmanbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmanbakes Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 16

I just made the woodland bakery vanilla sponge cake recipe and it is in the oven now. HEre is the recipe:

Vanilla Sponge Cake
**Read all the way to the end for Marble Cake variation
yield 2 - 8″ layers, or 24 standard size cupcakes- lightly spray the inside of the cupcake paper with pan grease before pouring in the batter

Click here for more info on Baking Pan Sizes

I always recommend using parchment paper to line the bottom of any cake pans in addition to the pan grease. This will ensure clean release each and everytime.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Large Eggs at room temperature 200g (4)
Granulated or Castor Sugar 400g (2 cups)
Whole Milk 8 fl oz (1 cup or 237ml)
Unsalted Butter 112g (8 Tablespoons)
Vanilla Extract  1 Tablespoon
All Purpose Flour 260g (2 cups) (You may sub in cake flour here at 250g)
Baking Powder 10g (2 teaspoon)
Salt 2g (1/4 teaspoon)

Mixing Directions:  Put the eggs in the mixer and mix for a minute or so then add the sugar and mix it until it gets to the ribbon stage 5-7 minutes. Then cut the mixer off and add all of the dry ingredients. Melt the butter and milk together in the microwave or stove and let it cool while the other ingredients are being mixed. After the dry ingredients have been mixed in with the sugar egg mixture, take about two cups of it out and mix it in a bowl with the butter milk mixture then poor that mixture back into the mixer and mix with the rest of the sugar egg flour mixture. Add the vanilla last.

After I mixed the eggs and sugar to the ribbon stage and added the flour the mixture looked like a dough ball I ended up adding another egg and some milk to smooth it out before I could mix it with the butter and milk mixture. I think I might have put to much sugar in it. I measured the sugar and flour by weight like she said. I placed a bowl on my scale and zeroed it  out then I scooped the sugar with a 1 cup measuring cup and put it the bowl until I got the 400 grams required in the recipe but I noticed that it took me about 4 cups/scoops of sugar before the scale got to 400 grams. I wonder if there is something wrong with my scale. there is a video on the website of her showing how to mix the ingredients and when she did it , it did not look like a dough ball like mine and it also looked like she had less sugar than I did.  Has anyone ever used this recipe and had the same problem with? The cake is currently in the oven I wonder if it will come out good  even if there is too much sugar in it.

15 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmanbakes 

I think I might have put to much sugar in it. I measured the sugar and flour by weight like she said. I placed a bowl on my scale and zeroed it  out then I scooped the sugar with a 1 cup measuring cup and put it the bowl until I got the 400 grams required in the recipe but I noticed that it took me about 4 cups/scoops of sugar before the scale got to 400 grams. I wonder if there is something wrong with my scale. there is a video on the website of her showing how to mix the ingredients and when she did it , it did not look like a dough ball like mine and it also looked like she had less sugar than I did.  Has anyone ever used this recipe and had the same problem with? The cake is currently in the oven I wonder if it will come out good  even if there is too much sugar in it.

The recipe says that 400 grams of sugar is equal to 2 measuring cups.   Yet you put in 4 cups.

The Orange Lily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The Orange Lily Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 12:00am
post #3 of 16

I always do that recipe and I have no trouble at all. I also weight my ingredients but I always put 350 grams of sugar because 400 gr just looks too much for me, and it comes out great. You should check you scale.I also did it with 400 gr of sugar and I had no trouble either, it's just that I feel that the eggs get saturated because of that much sugar, and it looks like the eggs get more airy with 350gr.
I don't know if this happens to everyone but I'll tell you if my cell phone is near the scale, the scale goes crazy and it doesn't measure correctly, so I always make sure the cell is far from the scale. Don't know why. 

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 12:05am
post #4 of 16

I have used this recipe and did not have any issues.  It is pretty thick after adding the flour mixture but not nearly like a dough ball.  Sounds like you measured something incorrectly. Sorry, I hate when that happens.

MBalaska Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Orange Lily 

I always do that recipe and I have no trouble at all. I also weight my ingredients ..................

The Orange Lily: I'm glad to hear that it works well for you.  I've written that recipe and put it in my notebook to try out.  It looks like a nice cake.  She does such a good job of filming the mixing.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 16

I have made this cake quite often and weigh everything with no problems, perhaps your scale is off because 400gms is approx. 2 cups.

MBalaska Posted 2 Sep 2014 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 16

What flavor of fillings and icings do you guys use for this cake?

The Orange Lily Posted 3 Sep 2014 , 12:21am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

The Orange Lily: I'm glad to hear that it works well for you.  I've written that recipe and put it in my notebook to try out.  It looks like a nice cake.  She does such a good job of filming the mixing.

She does! I've seen some of her videos and she has such great recipes, and is very clear while explaining.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

What flavor of fillings and icings do you guys use for this cake?

I love this combination with vanilla sponge cake: 1 filling would be equal parts of heavy cream and dulce de leche, whip it till it's fluffy (I use this filling very often, it has a soft taste, and very easy to make). The other filling would be cream cheese buttercream. Yummy! I love this combination in cupcakes!

FutureCakeBoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FutureCakeBoss Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 1:04am
post #9 of 16

AThat sounds delicious! When do you mix the dulce de leche and heavy cream? Right after the dulce de leche is done cooking or once it has been completely cooled or refrigerated?

The Orange Lily Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 2:30am
post #10 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureCakeBoss 

That sounds delicious! When do you mix the dulce de leche and heavy cream? Right after the dulce de leche is done cooking or once it has been completely cooled or refrigerated?

The dulce de leche must be cold from the refrigerator. Mix equal parts of whip cream and dulce de leche with a spoon until combined, and then whip it. Another filling really easy to make and very delicious too is made by combining equal parts of cream cheese and dulce de leche. As simple as that! Try it!

FutureCakeBoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FutureCakeBoss Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 2:47am
post #11 of 16

A

Original message sent by The Orange Lily

The dulce de leche must be cold from the refrigerator. Mix equal parts of whip cream and dulce de leche with a spoon until combined, and then whip it. Another filling really easy to make and very delicious too is made by combining equal parts of cream cheese and dulce de leche. As simple as that! Try it!

Mmmmm that sounds deeeeeelish! I will defiantly try it and let you know! Thanks :)

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Orange Lily 

Is your dulce de leche homemade or purchased?

The Orange Lily Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 3:42am
post #13 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlourPots 

Is your dulce de leche homemade or purchased?

It is purchased. I'm from Argentina and dulce de leche is found very easily, lots of brands to choose from. It's a must in every home haha. There also two types of dulce de leche: the traditional, to spread it over toasts, bread or eat with desserts, very soft consistency; and a confectioner one, which is stiffer, it`s not drippy at all, which is of course use to fill cakes. Actually I buy a 4kg bucket of that one because I use it a lot on my cakes.

FlourPots Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 5:46am
post #14 of 16

Ok...thank you!

I read about it on someone's blog and saved the page to try it one day.

The Orange Lily Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 6:06pm
post #15 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlourPots 

Ok...thank you!

I read about it on someone's blog and saved the page to try it one day.

Yes, that brand is export quality, it's a lot expensier for us too so I've tried it once or twice in my life haha. It is excellent quality indeed.

FlourPots Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 1:18am
post #16 of 16

Thank you...I appreciate all the great information...

The fillings you posted sound delicious...can't wait to try them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%