Decorating By aviendha Updated 16 Aug 2014 , 12:37am by -K8memphis

aviendha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aviendha Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making an icing, special request recipe:

1 c heavy cream

4T sugar

1 c sour cream

whip the heavy cream and sugar to firm peaks, then add sour cream and whip til spreadable.

it will NEVER be spreadable on the sides of a cake! this stuff tastes great (in an old fashioned way) but it is like very soft butter and will NOT stay on the sides of a cake!

Any suggestions? the wedding (a dear friend's) is tomorrow!

Accckkkkk!!!!!

5 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 6

Purchase a sour cream that is very thick and use only 1/2 cup. The consistency should work okay. Looks like a very interesting recipe! Good luck.

aviendha Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 6

Ok I've tried it with half the sour cream - still has good flavor so that's good, but was still practically soupy so I added gelatin; didn't do much but it's staying on the sides of the cake, barely. 

Thanks!

It's really delicious, but you could drink it through a straw! I think it'd be great for a cake in a pan, but not so much for a cake that needs icing on its sides!

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 6

Cream breaks down bit by bit, and sour cream is wet and heavy, I don't think there is anyway you can make it stable enough to properly ice a cake and maintain the the flavour/texture of the original recipe.

I would probably try an SMBC with sour cream added in. It wouldn't be the same, but you'd still get the tang from the sour cream, and not an overpowering cloying sweetness from ABC.

aviendha Posted 15 Aug 2014 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 6

I would if I could - and when I check on the cake again, if the icing is sliding I might just give up and do that!

It's from a recipe that the lady has given me, of a cake from her favorite series of books. The recipe was made up for the book series, and must have worked at least once because there's a picture in the book of the cake, lol. 

I am so worried about this icing... it's in the fridge, and if it could be served straight from the fridge I think it'd be ok, lol, but the wedding is in a field tomorrow and there won't be a fridge around :(

Hoping it's unusually cold tomorrow!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2014 , 12:37am
post #6 of 6

Asour cream up north in chicagoland is so thick you literally can slice it like so much pale canned cranberry sauce -- down here in 10-O-C not so much by a long shot -- so there's sour cream and there's sour cream --

what i do is: for a few hours or overnight i drain off the water either in a suspended cheesecloth or just place it in a strainer over a bowl -- all in the fridge of course -- or the easy way is to bore a hole in the middle of the sour cream and the hole will repeatedly fill with water -- remove all that water is my point for better success next time --

i also Never use any but my own tried and true recipes for cakes -- nev

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%