Large Chess Piece Set

Decorating By usabk5 Updated 9 Aug 2014 , 11:45am by -K8memphis

usabk5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usabk5 Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 13

AI've been asked to make a chess cake board set. Are there chess size moulds available to purchase that I can make from fondant instead of chocolate.

12 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 4:41am
post #2 of 13

Have you Googled around?

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 5:57am
post #3 of 13

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QP33U0/?tag=cakecentral-20

There are other chess sets and board square molds out there, just google for chocolate molds + chess

These chocolate molds will work just fine with fondant.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QP33U0/?tag=cakecentral-20

There are other chess sets and board square molds out there, just google for chocolate molds + chess

These chocolate molds will work just fine with fondant.

do you make two halves and sandwich them together? that works well with chocolate but the seam would show in fondant wouldn't it? i googled and looked -- i think you need two piece molds or something -- then i thought maybe marzipan would work better  -- but to get them 3-d you need  ... idk how could you get them out of a mold? unless you do it half by half then how to you get them together without the join showing???

honestly i think chocolate is your best bet but i mean if you got the fondant real dry then sanded the halves but the seam will still show ... idk 

you need something like a pearl mold that will wrap around and allow you to pop it out -- i looked yesterday but didn't find one --

can you take two chocolate molds and jam them together ? maybe

Apti Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 13

You could attach the two halves with gum glue, royal icing, a dab of chocolate.  Although these molds are for chocolate, they will work fine with fondant.  If you have any trouble with sticking, just lightly brush some powdered sugar or cornstarch in the mold first. 

When made with chocolate, just apply a super thin smear of warm chocolate and push them together.  Wipe off the excess with a finger, or trim after the pieces have "set up". 

-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

You could attach the two halves with gum glue, royal icing, a dab of chocolate.  Although these molds are for chocolate, they will work fine with fondant.  If you have any trouble with sticking, just lightly brush some powdered sugar or cornstarch in the mold first. 

When made with chocolate, just apply a super thin smear of warm chocolate and push them together.  Wipe off the excess with a finger, or trim after the pieces have "set up". 

sure gluing them together is no problem what about the fondant seam?

-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 7:31pm
post #7 of 13

alright - i just happen to have two chocolate chess molds sitting around -- see if i can find some fondant ...

-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

alright - i just happen to have two chocolate chess molds sitting around -- see if i can find some fondant ...

so i made 3 queens and i got a chess piece but the seam is ugly and i doubt it will rub out when it dries --

since it's fool proof to use chocolate or modeling choco i would never use fondant myself -- if you wanted to diddle forever though...

so i'm trying it one more time -- i've got it in my warming drawer for an hour or two--hope i don't melt my molds :grin: but i got it on low and i got the drawer open so ... should be ok.. to be continued...

-K8memphis Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 13

so the right side is cleaned up and looks ok...

until you look closer and you can see where i scraped off the tidbits and accidently gouged it with the razor too :grin: this could be perfect in chocolate because you can pour it perfectly or modeling chocolate because you can smooth out the gouges and all with the heat of your fingertips -- maybe marzipan too -- i haven't worked with it in a long time though --

so i made a horse chess piece by halves in fondant and it's in the warming drawer so that probably will go much better but it will have to dry longer so...probably see you later on that one...

usabk5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usabk5 Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 2:14am
post #10 of 13

AThanks everyone for your advice. They were very helpful

-K8memphis Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 2:27am
post #11 of 13

here's the horse made from two pieces -- looks good from the side

but no matter how much i microplaned it it would not fit snug without a major seam --

so be prepared to pipe over it or conceal it in some way if you have similar results using fondant --

chocolate is the only way i'd do it --

best to you

Apti Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 2:34am
post #12 of 13

You are a good woman, K8.

-K8memphis Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 11:45am
post #13 of 13

Athank you, apti

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%