Cake Failure Even With Sps???? Anyone Else Have Failure Even With Sps?

Decorating By Valscake Updated 7 Aug 2014 , 2:30pm by Dcr Cakes

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Jul 2014 , 6:21pm
post #31 of 40

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

Pilot error geez oh pete

no, pilot terror!! :lol: 

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 28 Jul 2014 , 6:52pm
post #32 of 40

Wow, definitely looks like it was dropped or smashed by braking hard or something of the type multiple times. Definitely not your fault.

Bunny0410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunny0410 Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 2:35am
post #33 of 40

Yep peeps, that is exactly what a dropped cake looks like.

I would check the base of the box also for impact marks.

People don't realise how much these cakes weigh. I know myself I have struggled to get some in boxes and cars due to the weight.

Most people when they collect cakes have a look in the box, he would have seen it whole and pretty.

Put it out of your mind, it was out of your control.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 3:41am
post #34 of 40

Oh for  Pete's sake, it looks like it took a couple of spins in a clothes dryer.  What a mess.  Usually when these wrecks are shown you can kind of see both sides, maybe the baker did this wrong, maybe the driver did this wrong and the combination or parts of both caused the disaster.  I can't in my wildest imagination think of how this wasn't completely caused after it left your hands and nothing you could have done would have prevented it.  I can see why the woman was upset since it was such a hot mess.  She certainly shouldn't have focused her anger on you though. 

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 30 Jul 2014 , 9:58am
post #35 of 40

Looks like they dropped cake!!! Sorry this happened to your beautiful cake!! It does not appear to be your fault. People do not drive carefully and end up messing up cakes or they drop them!!! But they always try to make the cake maker feel guilty about it when it was not your fault.

I have a little boy across the street and when he does something wrong he never looks me in the eyes. It sounds like the customer's husband also would not look you in the eye. That kind of tells it all!!!

Good luck!!

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 4 Aug 2014 , 1:54pm
post #36 of 40

Just curious, how far did he have to take the cake, miles/ minutes away from you. 40 minutes it a fairly long time, which may well indicate he stopped somewhere between picking up the cake, and getting it to the house or venue.

I once had a cake where part of the bottom tier broke off, but I had, had to make a sharp right turn, then left and over a speed bump that I didn't know was there. That was early on and I have not had a problem since, but  it was a 3 tier cake, and the second and third tier were still in  place and fine.  The pictue is of a cake that was mishandled, dropped, probably more than once, first time trying to get it out of the car, and bobbling it, then actually dropping it.  Husband may well have stopped off on the way and the wife was taking her anger out on you.  No matter what they tell you it was not your fault.          

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 4 Aug 2014 , 4:40pm
post #37 of 40

I was going to say it looks like it has been a victim of a toddler's cake smash photo shoot...but being dropped it probably more likely!!

Maybe take the time to make sure you know how to block her on facebook and remove any nasty comments she may decide to bring? 

That said, it makes me want to get hold of the SPS system even more if it could survive that!!!  The closest I have found in the UK is made by another company and I costed it up...was going to be over £50 just for the structure!

And for referance, I have a clause in my contract which says that I am not responsible once a cake has left my premises if they are collecting it and the customer has to sign when they collect it.  So far, people have only collected single tier cakes and I offer free delivery within a 5 mile radius (and build it into the pricing structure).  That covers many of the local large venues.  It's a bit of a pain, but I'd rather that than a frantic phone call afterwards!

Dcr Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dcr Cakes Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 11:10am
post #38 of 40

Fondant Figures....

HELP!!! I am making a bride and groom for my sons wedding cake.  I have a couple of problems.

first: when I mix "Wilton" packaged gum paste with my fondant, 50/50, I can not get it to mix up together, There are folds that will not knead together,

Second: After I have shaped the figure, and let it set for a spell, it cracks and looks like a kindergartener made it, very rough not smooth at all.  

I have tried straight gum paste and the fondant/gum past mixture. All the tutorials I have watched I do not see any of this problem.  I am not using cornstarch, only crisco on my hands to keep it from sticking to my hands.  I have remade it so many times I now only have two weeks before the event.  I made figures one other time before using only gum paste. I had rough surface then as well, however they were motorcycle men on my sons cake.  I also was able to let each part of the body dry for a week before adding on to the figure. I don't have that kind of time now.  Is there any other product beside Wilton. It always seems hard and dry when I buy it.  I have spent 30.00 on gum paste thus far......cheaper to buy a topping at this point but wanted to personalize it for them.  ANY HELP, TIPS????

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 1:12pm
post #39 of 40

I don't work with fondant or figures but you many want to start a new thread with this topic, it would probably get your more views and replies.  Hope you get it figured (ha,I  made a pun!) out. 

Dcr Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dcr Cakes Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 2:30pm
post #40 of 40

thank you for replying!!! I appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%