Wrap Tight Or Loose To Settle?

Decorating By mangosunrise Updated 26 Jul 2014 , 6:49pm by mattyeatscakes

mangosunrise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mangosunrise Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 2:47am
post #1 of 12

I am settling a cake overnight, with the ceramic tile on top. It occured to me I have rarely seen people mention if they wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap (then tile on top) or loosely in plastic wrap.

I would think it should be loosely wrapped, like draped, so the air can escape.  Someone clarify? Would appreciate it! Thanks a lot!

11 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 2:58am
post #2 of 12

Hi, you actually wrap it tight. Not loose, like draping. Wrap it with cling wrap, etc.

mangosunrise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mangosunrise Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 3:03am
post #3 of 12

Ok, and how does that allow the air to be released though? I thought the point was to allow gentle settling of the cake layers to squeeze air out from the filling/dam etc.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 3:07am
post #4 of 12

I have never understood the reasoning behind this.  Working in a busy bakery no one have the time to let cakes settle yet there is seldom the problems some people attribute to this.  To me all one is going to get is a cake that is heavy and not feather light :(

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 3:43am
post #5 of 12

I have never had to let a cake settle either, and no bulging or blowouts here. But I work with SMBC or ganache, and am fairly certain that those problems are experienced by users of shortening creams, stuff with powdered sugar. Seems to me like meringue bc users are fairly immune to it. I am anyways...whew! I fill, ice it right away, and go about my business. 

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 3:51am
post #6 of 12

I think AZCouture is right.  I always had blowout issues with ABC so I started weighting my cakes to settle.  Kept doing this out of habit when I switched to SMBC.  One day I forgot, and had no blowouts... so I decided to try again to see if it was a fluke.  Nope!  Never had to weight my cakes again when using SMBC :)

AZCouture Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 4:20am
post #7 of 12

A

Original message sent by jennicake

I think AZCouture is right.  I always had blowout issues with ABC so I started weighting my cakes to settle.  Kept doing this out of habit when I switched to SMBC.  One day I forgot, and had no blowouts... so I decided to try again to see if it was a fluke.  Nope!  Never had to weight my cakes again when using SMBC :)

Isn't it great??

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 4:44am
post #8 of 12

If I let a cake settle overnight, I just crumb coat it and leave it sit at room temp.  In the morning, if there's a bulge I just scrape it away and finish ice the cake.  So far so good.

If I don't have overnight, I crumb coat the cake, put a piece of parchment on top and sit the tile on it for a few hours, scape away any bulge and finish ice.

I never 'wrap' cakes unless the layers are being frozen. 

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 5:35am
post #9 of 12

ASame here, i only use SMBC (exept for cream cheese frosting) and never had to let the cake settle and never had a blow out. I've baked and decorated cakes the same day, no prob. Whew!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 12

AI let my cakes settle overnight in the fridge. I wrap them with saran wrap. I would consider it a tight wrap. I pull out the plastic wrap, drap it over the cake and then press it against the cake. It isn't so tight that air can't get out. I don't think saran wrap will get that tight on a cake.

AZCouture Posted 24 Jul 2014 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 12

A[quote name="mattyeatscakes" url="/t/778116/wrap-tight-or-loose-to-settle#post_7537843"]Same here, i only use SMBC (exept for cream cheese frosting) and never had to let the cake settle and never had a blow out. I've baked and decorated cakes the same day, no prob. Whew!

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 26 Jul 2014 , 6:49pm
post #12 of 12

A[quote name="AZCouture" url="/t/778116/wrap-tight-or-loose-to-settle#post_7538058"] I do everything in one day for simpler cakes too. Just too lazy to work ahead sometimes. And nothing gets rushed, I'd never do that to someone's order. This was baked the morning of the event. I mean, there's really nothing to a design like this, certainly a fondant covered and detailed cake would not be done in one day. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3267882/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote]

Beautiful cake! :)

When you're a mom with a 6 month old infant and 2 yr old toddler, time management is out the door! Hahaha just made this yesterday, took me till 4am but baked, made the smbc and cream cheese filling, filled and iced, decorated and stacked all in one night! Started at 10pm! Omg! Never again! I wanted to cry out of exhaustion..

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3268544/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%