Molds For Fondant

Decorating By melodyscakes Updated 14 Nov 2005 , 1:18pm by cakefairy18

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 20 Sep 2005 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 11

someone told me that you can buy some stuff to make molds....so i was thinking maybe i could make my own molds. they were very expensive. has anyone done this, or heard of this? i was told that you could buy the supplies at a craft store and the plaster, clay section.
what i am wondering about is the fondant molds to make fondant borders, ive seen them on different sights.
input would be appreciated. especially since i have a coupon for joannes and could by the stuff pretty cheap.
thanks melody

10 replies
lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 4:07am
post #2 of 11

I heard in another thread that there was a place( i think suger craft but cant remember) that sold kits to make your own molds they were supposed to be safe with for food.... me and my husband were just talking about this the other day andhe said that he saw a molding kit in the clay plaster aisle at hobby lobby....I dont know if what he saw was something that could be used...But thought it would be interesting to check out the next time im there.

melodyscakes Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 4:17am
post #3 of 11

glad i got your input! i am thinking about really playing with this mold making thingy. i think it turns out like rubber. i've seen molds for sell and they are expensive. i was thinking about playing around and seeing if i can make a mold for pearls, or strings of pearls......i'll post my results. i could really save some money if i figure this out. also if i figure out how to be successful i will post it here!

thanks
melody

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 9:36am
post #4 of 11

I have no idea about this.. all I can do is bump it back up~

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 22 Sep 2005 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 11

They are called silicone plastique molds that you can make yourself. Check out www.makeyourownmolds.com for more info!

melodyscakes Posted 22 Sep 2005 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 11

thanks mrs. missy!!!! sometime in the future i am going to experiment with that. if i get it to work out i will post directions here.
thanks
melody

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 22 Sep 2005 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 11

You're welcome! That is something I've wanted to try too but just haven't gotten to it!!

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 22 Sep 2005 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 11

You have to be careful what you use for making molds... You want to be sure that it's food safe. The silicone plastique is awesome and easy to use. I've made molds using gumpaste and it's worked pretty well. It's not flexible, but I was able to get my piece out of the mold.

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 22 Sep 2005 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 11

The silicone plastique is very easy to use...there are two containers...you mix equal portions together..knead...and then make your mold.

cuillere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuillere Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 11

Tami
They sure made it look flexible in sugarcraft website. I myself was looking into it and I'll try it today and let you guys know how it came out.

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 14 Nov 2005 , 1:18pm
post #11 of 11

i heard that it was very expensive to make your own molds...

but i guess if you do a goof job and they come out better than the ones at the store, its worth it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%