I Give Up

Business By nancylee61 Updated 28 Mar 2015 , 1:05pm by nancylee61

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 3:29pm
post #31 of 143

AYour photos should show your cakes at their very best. Those pictures are very important for your portfolio, facebook, blog, web page. So take pictures with the cardboard off and place it on that pretty plate for the photo. If you post links to your web page we can give suggestions there as well. Lots of people check out a businesses web page before doing business so it is key that it is top notch, even if using a free service. I think it would help your cakes if you went down a couple sizes of piping tip. If the pipng was all a little smaller and delicate looking I think that would help the overall presentation and show off yourr smooth icing better.

denetteb Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 3:31pm
post #32 of 143

AAnother business idea to consider as you put together your business plan. What if you really featured your natural flavors and ingredients. Make simple but fabulous tasting dessert cakes. No stacking, elaborate decorating. Just simply iced but great tasting. Maybe that is a niche you could fill.

denetteb Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 3:39pm
post #33 of 143

ASome more photo feedback. Google cake central for threads on taking good cake pictures. Neutral or complementary backgrounds, no kitchen appliances in the background, good lighting. Look to your wedding cake pictures compared to the other pics to see the difference.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 4:27pm
post #34 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i've been watching kerry vincent's tv show where she does makeovers on existing bakeries around the country--your cakes look any where from every bit as good to worlds better than the cakes on that show including the 'after' pictures --  

all the bakeries i've worked in and applied to have hard and fast pecking orders based on tenure cemented in place with ego -- so use yours to it's best advantage -- while it's true that you probably would not land a head decorator position in a busy shop you would clearly be a worthy apprentice -- i'd hire you on my team -- but that doesn't really matter because you gotta believe in yourself --

Thank you. I KNOW I have room to improve, I know I do! I will be the first one to admit it. But I look at everyone's cakes, and while there are MANY talented bakers on this site, these people aren't working at my local bakeries!!! My cakes are better than the local bakeries' cakes already, and I will only get better. I would not expect to be a head decorator in a custom cake shop - not yet. But I'd be better than the owners at the shops near me. So I have to focus on continuing to get better and on marketing. And NOT giving my cakes away for cheap anymore. 

Nancy

nancylee61 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 4:28pm
post #35 of 143

Hi,

I do like the simple, rustic cakes. The smoothing of the icing takes so long, and I have far to go to be perfect at it, I do realize that. We have a Healing Springs Magazine in Saratoga - I think I will put an ad in there, with my natural and organic ingredients highlighted and that I can do gluten free also.

Thanks!
Nancy

nancylee61 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 4:29pm
post #36 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

Hang in there, Nancy. You will figure it out. 

You could always sue the bakery that asked you your age! :DD

jen

Haha!! That is a great idea!!! :)

nancylee61 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 4:31pm
post #37 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by denetteb 

Your photos should show your cakes at their very best. Those pictures are very important for your portfolio, facebook, blog, web page. So take pictures with the cardboard off and place it on that pretty plate for the photo. If you post links to your web page we can give suggestions there as well. Lots of people check out a businesses web page before doing business so it is key that it is top notch, even if using a free service. I think it would help your cakes if you went down a couple sizes of piping tip. If the pipng was all a little smaller and delicate looking I think that would help the overall presentation and show off yourr smooth icing better.

Thank you for your great suggestions. Yes, I love to pipe!!! I pipe big and fluffy!! In the beginning, when making cakes for family and good friends, it was to hide the flaws!! Not that I am a little better, there aren't so many flaws to hide, so I will scale down.

Thank you,

Nancy

rockymtnbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockymtnbaker Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 4:56pm
post #38 of 143

I agree with others' posts about the wedding cakes looking cleaner and better. The thing that struck me with the composition and design of the other cakes you posted is that they look very busy and cluttered. The themes are getting lost with all the cramped decor. Less is more...especially with today's obsession with clean lines. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 5:15pm
post #39 of 143

AI definitely think focusing on wedding cakes might be worth your time. Otherwise, the clean sharp colorful high paying gigs will have to wait, that just doesn't come overnight. But if you keep at it, there's no reason why it can't.

AZCouture Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 5:16pm
post #40 of 143

AWhat town are you in Nancy? Now I'm curious to see what these bakeries are putting out.

nancylee61 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 6:08pm
post #41 of 143

Yeah, there is never too much color for me!! 

I am near Glens Falls, Queensbury, Lake George and Saratoga. One of the bakeries does nice fondant cakes, but they are the one that uses high trans fat shortening and cake mixes. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 6:42pm
post #42 of 143

so if you can work from home and you have your niche you're there -- develop your own style -- do what you can do but keep practicing new things so you can add them to your repertoire --

you can maybe also do some desserts for a restaurant or two-- if that's allowable in your area with whatever banner you are flying under--cottage law or farmer's market or whatever --

best baking to you

nancylee61 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 6:50pm
post #43 of 143

This is my crappy weebly site; any suggestions of websites, or improvements would be greatly appreciated. And hey - I got a review for cupcakes that said they were the most awesome cupcakes he ever had!! Maybe I should stick to them. 

http://northernwoodsbakery.weebly.com/

I have trouble getting pictures on, so it stinks. I also have northernwoodsbakery.blogspot.com. 

Nancy

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 7:09pm
post #44 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

so if you can work from home and you have your niche you're there -- develop your own style -- do what you can do but keep practicing new things so you can add them to your repertoire --

you can maybe also do some desserts for a restaurant or two-- if that's allowable in your area with whatever banner you are flying under--cottage law or farmer's market or whatever --

best baking to you

Good idea Kate. New York's CFL allows wholesale to restaurants so that would be a great market. Retail sales, however, are restricted to agricultural venues such as farmers' markets.

Nancy would only need to apply for the Home Processor permit for selling wholesale. But specialty cake sales to individuals are not allowed so she would need a commercial kitchen to be legal.

nancylee61 Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 9:21pm
post #45 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

Good idea Kate. New York's CFL allows wholesale to restaurants so that would be a great market. Retail sales, however, are restricted to agricultural venues such as farmers' markets.

Nancy would only need to apply for the Home Processor permit for selling wholesale. But specialty cake sales to individuals are not allowed so she would need a commercial kitchen to be legal.

I actually have an agreement with a woman with a local kitchen to use it for baking - she does an entirely different market than I do, so I can sell legally. 

THanks, all. You are very kind, and even though it is not easy to be told that my product needs work, I appreciate the honesty.

Nancy

bilbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bilbo Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 9:43pm
post #46 of 143

If youer trying to get high paying customers, an established business with a good tasting cake will pull in more people than someone new with a great tasting cake, especially if the decorating is about the same. Ya know? You need to build your reputation as offering something different than they do - not just almost the same or pretty close, something different that will set you apart. If they do mostly celebration cakes with a few name and decorations thrown in, work on 3D modeling and sculpting and design style to be a step above. You've mentioned WFCS a few times, their icing might not be smooth as glass, but their flowers and design style are perfect and set them apart based on their long standing reputation and portfolio of beautiful cakes. You said you love color and decorations everywhere but maybe that's not appealing to the clients you're aiming for?

Edible Art Co Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Edible Art Co Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 9:45pm
post #47 of 143

Hello, just thought I'd chime in with a couple notes on your weebly site :) I like the colours, the background, and the font. I like the concise text, the nav bar is easy to use, and the pic at the top of most pages is gorgeous! Your rustic wedding cake looks delicious as well as artfully made, well done you!

A couple things you may want to consider: use only sharp, in focus pictures. I was ruthless with mine and took about half off my website because they had wonky background stuff/not great lighting. It's there only to showcase your best work! If you haven't made that many great ones yet, don't worry, better to have a few great pics than 20 iffy ones!

HTH, don't give up on yourself :) 

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 10:21pm
post #48 of 143

Nancy you said that the bakery asked you how old you were, That is illegal! I am 49 years old and I wish an interviewer would! I'd own their bakery lock stock and barrel!

Some of the pics you showed were from when you first started trying to get your icing smooth I remember the threads. You have come a long way since then, your wedding cakes prove it.

A few people replying to this thread have cake shops and businesses and their cakes don't look too much smoother than yours. You just keep practicing, your techniques will get better. If you want this bad enough, keep practicing and you will achieve it!

Take the skills that you have now and hone in on them. There is a market for simply decorated cakes with high end ingredients. Case and point, there is a guy on the other side of town here that sales the plainest decorated cakes, pies and cookies but the flavor combinations (mostly southern classics with a twist) are incredible and over the top. He opens at 8 a.m and only makes a limited amount of products. There is always a line and when it's gone it's gone, better luck next time. Some people want smooth, perfectly designed, high end cakes that taste amazing and some people just want a simple, no fuss cake that has delicious high end ingredients.Guess what? People are willing to pay for both of them in the right market.

I applaud you for showing your cakes and accepting the constructive (blunt) criticism and learning from it. I've seen cakes from people who have said "I didn't sell a cake before I was confident in my abilities", MALARKEY! Bet they don't have the courage that you have to post those first said cakes! Take a look around, click on their websites and you will find out that there are plenty of businesses on here selling what they call "mediocre" products.

You keep on practicing your craft Nancy and don't give up!

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 10:44pm
post #49 of 143

Maybe you could take an art class that teaches color theory and what looks good with what.

AZCouture Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 11:17pm
post #50 of 143

AWhat real help is that to Nancy to say things like MALARKEY about advice being given to her? Some of us are being realistic and honest, and of course you don't realize it, but we've had an ongoing private message for a few months now, where she's asked questions and I've helped her out. Probably more fun to assume that I'm picking on her though.

Yeah, as [B]crazy[/B] as it is to believe, some people really didn't learn as they went, they actually did a lot of practice, spent a lot of time studying and researching the market, seeing what could be profitable and what probably wouldn't work.

I don't understand why you and definitely another, maybe a few more, can't stand to see advice that isn't absolutely dripping with sugar. I'm actually kind of boggled on this one, because I was supportive in my replies. And like I mentioned before, we've been chatting privately for quite awhile now, so you really [B]don't[/B] know what's going on.

It costs you absolutely nothing to say "yay you, don't give up champ, you can do it! Everyone's gonna win! Gooooooo rainbows!" You get to say you were super helpful and nice and you are, here's a gold medal for blowing smoke. I actually want to see people be realistic about their situations, and not throw good money away on possibly bad bad decisions. Or like I suggested, play up their strengths and capitalize on those. But the replies like mine and others are just targets for you and the other gem I can think of offhand, to slam and snark about being mean, and critical, and not kissy enough. Enough already.

I know it's boring to keep hearing this, but [B]the custom cake market is flooded beyond belief and if you want to jump in, you need to be a step ahead of the rest to expect success.[/B]

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 11:45pm
post #51 of 143

Originally Posted by enga 

... I've seen cakes from people who have said "I didn't sell a cake before I was confident in my abilities", MALARKEY! Bet they don't have the courage that you have to post those first said cakes! Take a look around, click on their websites and you will find out that there are plenty of businesses on here selling what they call "mediocre" products...

Malarkey? There's no need for lashing out. I fail to see how that furthers the conversation here, unless you are fighting an old war unrelated to our OP.

How about just posting one-liners, the way pastrypet does? There's no nonsense from pastrypet, just a straightforward suggestion that art classes may help. Perfect!  

enga Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 11:46pm
post #52 of 143

Why do you always have to assume that I'm talking about you when I post? I didn't say that anyone was picking on her. I was stating that some business on here don't sell perfect products and that cakes don't have to be perfect to sell. You are reading and wording way more into my post. I was trying to show her that cakes can be sold at any skill level in the right market. By the way, I gave up my rainbow cape eons ago, I'm into Flowers and sunshine now.

I think that it is very admirable of you to help Nancy privately but that's none of my business. Thanks for sharing though.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 11:49pm
post #53 of 143

I agree w/ what PastryPet wrote, maybe taking an art class to learn about color theories, artistic composition, how to recognize and use these.  

I feel that is missing in your cakes/design. Without understanding these concepts and how to apply them correctly, it makes the cakes look very amateur- doesn't matter how smooth the icing may be. 

WFCS, has these is their designs- and that is appealing and adds to their popularity. 

Also, an actual class in person with  cake decorating instructors would be immensely valuable- can't compare to craftsy or wilton classes.

enga Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 11:53pm
post #54 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

... I've seen cakes from people who have said "I didn't sell a cake before I was confident in my abilities", MALARKEY! Bet they don't have the courage that you have to post those first said cakes! Take a look around, click on their websites and you will find out that there are plenty of businesses on here selling what they call "mediocre" products...

Malarkey? There's no need for lashing out. I fail to see how that furthers the conversation here, unless you are fighting an old war unrelated to our OP.

How about just posting one-liners, the way pastrypet does? There's no nonsense from pastrypet, just a straightforward suggestion that art classes may help. Perfect!  

I'm not pastrypet and I have my own opinions. Does anyone tell you how to post? Last time I checked Malarkey was not a bad word and I wasn't lashing out at anyone. You have to be angry to lash out at someone and I'm not. You, like AZ, are reading way to much into my post. It was meant as a figure of speech like, Yeah right, sure or what ever, nothing more.

AZCouture Posted 8 Jul 2014 , 11:57pm
post #55 of 143

ASame old same old Enga, more than one person usually has to ask what the heck you're talking about. Another thread possibly goes down the tubes because of utter gibberish.

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 12:01am
post #56 of 143

Quote:

I'm not pastrypet and I have my own opinions. Does anyone tell you how to post? Last time I checked Malarkey was not a bad word and I wasn't lashing out at anyone. You have to be angry to lash out at someone and I'm not. You, like AZ, are reading way to much into my post. It was meant as a figure of speech like, Yeah right, sure or what ever, nothing more.

wow. you sound angry and hostile here. Maybe you need a break?

bilbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bilbo Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 12:14am
post #57 of 143

Quote:

You do all the time. Sunshine and flowers ain't gonna help op get her business in order. Or would you like for her to continue to be frustrated and losing money.

enga Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 12:24am
post #58 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakefat 

Quote:

wow. you sound angry and hostile here. Maybe you need a break?

She just told me how I should post now you are telling me I'm angry and need a break, :roll:wow! You couldn't be further from the truth. It's only angry if YOU interpret it that way.

I'm happy and I'm happy for Nancy. I don't want her to give up on her dreams so I will keep encouraging her. You sound unhappy, here have a ((((HUG))))!!!!

Happy Baking!

enga Posted 9 Jul 2014 , 12:31am
post #59 of 143

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbo 

Quote:

You do all the time. Sunshine and flowers ain't gonna help op get her business in order. Or would you like for her to continue to be frustrated and losing money.

Yeah maybe not, but it did make her want to take a step back and reevaluate her circumstances. I think she's being realistic about how she should approach her business. I just felt like she was a little down in the dumps when she started this thread. So I tried to cheer her up a bit with some encouragement. We all have bad days. Are you having a bad day, do you need a hug too? Here Ya Go, ((((((((Sending Love And Hugs))))))))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%