Cooked Frosting Flavor Additions?

Baking By LoveSavesTheDay Updated 19 Jul 2014 , 11:26pm by Natka81

LoveSavesTheDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveSavesTheDay Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 19

Hi everyone! :)

I have a question for anyone who has made a cooked frosting in the past.  I have made this recipe before: http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/09/perfect-cupcake-frosting-and-filling/  and I really liked it.  What would happen if I added something like Nutella to it?  Would the consistency be ruined? 

Thanks!

18 replies
jumjum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumjum Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 19

AYou sure can...I have been using the recipe from this website

http://leelabeanbakes.com/blog/frosting-filling/even-better-cooked-flour-frosting/

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumjum 

You sure can...I have been using the recipe from this website

http://leelabeanbakes.com/blog/frosting-filling/even-better-cooked-flour-frosting/

What a nice recipe, and a beautiful website page.  I'm going to try that soon, as it's almost exactly like my old fashioned vanilla pudding recipe that is delicious.  And she gives a vegan option along with flavor varieties.

jumjum Posted 4 Jul 2014 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 19

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

What a nice recipe, and a beautiful website page.  I'm going to try that soon, as it's almost exactly like my old fashioned vanilla pudding recipe that is delicious.  And she gives a vegan option along with flavor varieties.

It's delicious! I tried several recipes and this is by far my favorite....

I added oreos to the vainilla flavor and used it as a filling for my cookies and cream cake.. Everyone loved it!

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 2:07am
post #5 of 19

A[quote name="jumjum" url="/t/777611/cooked-frosting-flavor-additions#post_7531496"]You sure can...I have been using the recipe from this website

http://leelabeanbakes.com/blog/frosting-filling/even-better-cooked-flour-frosting/[/quote]

I've converted to this recipe recently. I love it, especially with vbp as a filling. I haven't tried any variations yet!

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 19

Here is some practice cakes that I did with cooked frosting. 

I used 6" dummy cake. I know, lines on ruffle cakes are not perfect straight, I am still practicing. 

Next time I need to try different butter, the frosting is kind of yellow.

MBalaska Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natka81 

Here is some practice cakes that I did with cooked frosting. 

I used 6" dummy cake. I know, lines on ruffle cakes are not perfect straight, I am still practicing. 

Next time I need to try different butter, the frosting is kind of yellow.

Natka81 they look lovely and exactly the same as any other icing.   Here's a previous thread about the color you speak of.   It has some information that may be helpful.

http://cakecentral.com/t/744791/help-swiss-meringue-buttercream-turned-yellow

Natka81 Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Natka81 they look lovely and exactly the same as any other icing.   Here's a previous thread about the color you speak of.   It has some information that may be helpful.

http://cakecentral.com/t/744791/help-swiss-meringue-buttercream-turned-yellow

Thank you, I will read the tread.

Danilou Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 12:49am
post #9 of 19

AHere's a cake I did last weekend using this Buttercream. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3258990/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

MBalaska Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 3:09am
post #10 of 19

Danilou that's wonderful!  Well Done  ;-D

Danilou Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 5:19am
post #11 of 19

AThanks!

Natka81 Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 11:26am
post #12 of 19

Very neat cake, Danilou. Not so long ago I was baking 14" square cake and it took me 2.5 hours to smooth icing. 

I like this cooked frosting Buttercream, next week I will try adding Nutella to it.

jumjum Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 4:14pm
post #13 of 19

AHas anyone tried this frosting under fondant? Do you think it's too soft ?

Natka81 Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 6:05pm
post #14 of 19

I made this frosting  this saturday morning, practiced decorating and then put it in fridge, it is hard as butter when cold. I will trying this frosting under fondant some time next week.

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 6 Jul 2014 , 7:11pm
post #15 of 19

This sounds tasty, I cant stand the taste of powdered sugar!  Has anyone tried using this recipe with hi ratio shortening instead of butter?  If not, I'm going to give it a shot in the next couple of days and see how it turns out.  I'll let you know :)

Natka81 Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 1:06pm
post #16 of 19

So, this week I practiced cooked frosting under fondant. But I practiced on a dummy cake, and I kept it refrigerated over night and 5 hours at room temp. ( 78 F, humidity 60% in house), 

Here it is after fridge and 5 hrs. at room temp

Fondant was sweating a lot but it dried up.

Then:

I doubled the recipe  and used half and half instead milk and heavy cream, and instead 4 stick of butter I used 3 sticks and 1/4 cup of Crisco and instead 2 cups of sugar I used 1 1/2 cup.

I left it at room temp on purpose for 4 hours. I did not notice it sliding off.

Normally I would  not keep this frosting at room temp. because it has milk product.

jumjum Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 8:54pm
post #17 of 19

A@ natka81 Thank you for the info! I love the taste of this icing way better then ABC, but now I love it even more! You can color it, use it under fondant, as a filling ....

Just a note; She stated on the website comments that since the cream/milk mixture was heated and boiled, that she doesn't refrigerate and that the icing acts much better at room temp (Is she wrong!??)

Natka81 Posted 12 Jul 2014 , 9:17pm
post #18 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumjum 

@ natka81
Thank you for the info!
I love the taste of this icing way better then ABC, but now I love it even more! You can color it, use it under fondant, as a filling ....

Just a note; She stated on the website comments that since the cream/milk mixture was heated and boiled, that she doesn't refrigerate and that the icing acts much better at room temp (Is she wrong!??)

I don`t know if it can stay at room temp for long and be safe to eat, personally, I wouldn`t keep it at room temp for long( maximum maybe 4-5 hrs.), just because it has milk. I like everything to be  refrigerated. I even put cake layer in fridge when I need them for tomorrow.

Of course this, icing has to be at room temp. to decorate, but I would still keep decorated cake in fridge.

Please consider that I used dummy cakes for test, I haven`t used it on real cake ( I don`t know if it will make much difference). This icing is something new for me.

Natka81 Posted 19 Jul 2014 , 11:26pm
post #19 of 19

So, this Friday I used this cooked icing on real cakes. 10" 8" & 6"

1st tier sponge cake with tiramisu filling

2nd, sponge, heavy whipping cream and fresh raspberries

3rd sponge and heavy whipping cream for filling

Used SPS.

Kept refrigerated.

Survived 1 hour drive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%