Need Inspiration & Direction

Decorating By MsGF Updated 22 Jun 2014 , 10:21pm by MsGF

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 9

Hey Everyone;

My parents will be celebrating their 55th Wedding Anniversary next year and we (the children) are planning a little gathering of friends and family.  I am in charge of the cake, as usual.

I have been looking for weeks, on-line and everywhere for inspiration and direction.  Not having any luck.  The 55th Anniversary is Emerald, I've seen different cakes that I liked but when I think of incorporating emerald green into the design I'm usually lost right there.  The colour emerald green just doesn't scream inspiration at me.  I'm finding it a very difficult colour to work with.  

My Mother is a less is more type girl.  Not too busy, or to crazy modern looking.  I want  her to be wowed by the cake and make it fit her style.  And I'm struggling, she is 75 and not a huge fan of the really super modern cake style.   She likes the dainty, pretty, pastel colour, style cakes.   But it is for my Father as well, and he isn't the dainty, pretty type.

Just wondering if any of you can help inspire me into a direction.  All suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.  Much appreciated.

8 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 9

AStop looking at other cakes, first thing. I never look for inspiration from other cakes, that's a sure way to get stuck in a "done that, seen that, can't find anything new" rut for sure. Look at jewelry, look at the invitations they used from the wedding, the dress she wore, china settings, flowers, etc. Fashion!

Since that's such a bold color, use it as accents. Maybe offset stripes, or borders. Paired with gold or silver, painting might be a good option. Or make large isomalt emeralds and put them in the middle of a tier, and paint designs around them. All kinds of ideas, just need to think outside the box, and don't get stuck looking at other cakes, that will help, I promise.

MsGF Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 9

Very good plan.  I want to see their old wedding photos, the cake for sure.  But my Mom is no fool, if I ask or suggest we look at them she will be on to us like like a fly to s#@t  - this is a surprise, we hope.  LOL  :grin:

I was thinking of isomalt gems.  I will keep thinking.  Sometimes I surprise myself.

Thanks for the tips and advice.  Will definitely be taking it to heart.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 9

AOh it's a surprise, gotcha. Well, keep looking, and if you find anything online post it here and maybe we can come up with some ideas. I'd try googling inspiration boards, using emerald as the key word as well. That will bring up a lot of ideas, I bet.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 9

AI was definitely thinking silver/white cake with the bold emerald green used as an accent colour - maybe even a dramatic flower or gem, along the lines of AZCouture's comments.

Maybe you could get a description of the original wedding eg details of the cake or your mother's dress from relatives, if she will be too suspicious of you asking questions? Or get her out of the house and go on a secret fact-finding mission.....good luck!

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 8:39pm
post #6 of 9

AI don't know if it would be a style you want to use or not, but I love emerald green used in an Art Deco theme. It could be a fantastic cake theme for an important anniversary; not too feminine, really stylish.

MsGF Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 9

I like the Art Deco idea, but it's not Mom's style.  She has seen me looking at those style cakes and she said she didn't like them.  But it would look awesome.

I like the silver & white idea with the green being an accent.  It is an overwhelming colour.  I like the gem/isomalt idea.

I've been searching emerald jewelry and wedding inspiration boards.    I will keep looking.

Thanks for the help.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 9
MsGF Posted 22 Jun 2014 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks enga, that is very pretty.

I will save it.   Gets me thinking. 

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%