Need Help For Maybe Home Based Business

Business By Donita1978 Updated 3 Jul 2014 , 8:16pm by crabilld

crabilld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crabilld Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 4:21pm
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

i've seriously considered relocating to california-- as i understand the cfl you cannot use any commercial equipment--and that is a deal breaker for me for trying to operate under cfl-- and that is how cfo are automatically kept in check and rightly so -- it helps keep the commercial businesses protected some -- so if cfo wanna go full time then they need to get the commercial property to go with it -- that's fair --

and since you say local bakeries have significantly lower prices then they are making it by the hair of their chinny chin chins -- but there are some bakeries that are charging out the whazoo--'cause my sister tells me about the exquisite goodies and the prices she pays for them--but they have location location location they have to pay for too --

not an easy business any which way it goes--but we all love to bake/create -- the beauty is we all can do it small or large scale

Actually there is nothing in the law, or even in CDPH's resources, that prohibits commercial equipment from being used. I was actually really surprised that they didn't throw that in. All they say is that everything needs to be sanitized and cleaned before use, and the reason why CFOs are usually not allowed to use commercial equipment is supposedly because it can't be effectively cleaned in a home kitchen. So I guess CA figures that if you can figure out a way to clean it, you can use it. You can't use a commercial kitchen though.

Yes, there are definitely some high-range bakeries, which I wasn't referring to. I was mostly saying that bakeries haven't really changed their prices, and from what I've seen, CFOs have been pricing based on costs and time, not based on competition. Their prices tend to be higher and many of them use higher-priced local or high-quality ingredients as a way of differentiating themselves. So far I have only met one CFO that was just doing it for fun... an older lady that is probably breaking even with her sales.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 5:36pm
post #32 of 33

David, I know you mean well, but I just read through the Questions and Answers on your New York page and your answers are not entirely accurate. Anyone who wants to have a home-based food business MUST apply for a Home Processor Permit. And rumors aside, I am positive that NYC allows home-based food businesses. 

Please call the NYS Dept of Ag & Mkts (Albany) for help. (518) 457-8835. Otherwise, it is safest to only respond to specific questions by telling people to contact the Dept of Ag & Mkts.

crabilld Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crabilld Posted 3 Jul 2014 , 8:16pm
post #33 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

David, I know you mean well, but I just read through the Questions and Answers on your New York page and your answers are not entirely accurate. Anyone who wants to have a home-based food business MUST apply for a Home Processor Permit. And rumors aside, I am positive that NYC allows home-based food businesses. 

Please call the NYS Dept of Ag & Mkts (Albany) for help. (518) 457-8835. Otherwise, it is safest to only respond to specific questions by telling people to contact the Dept of Ag & Mkts.

I'm not entirely sure where on the page you're referring to. It's always been my impression that a permit is required no matter what. I'll check into the NYC thing -- I'm sure you're right, but I just don't want to refute the user that took the time to share her info, without double checking.

BTW, I hope you know that you can always answer questions or add your own thoughts on there... the site works very similarly to Cake Central. The Florida page is a good example of one where I answer few questions because someone more knowledgeable than me has started answering them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%