How Can I Make Long Thin Fondant Pieces In Order To Make Swirls For Cake.

Decorating By soledad Updated 20 Jun 2014 , 10:24pm by Faradaye

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 3

Good day, CC friends!!!

I need long thin pieces of fondant! I do not have an extruder nor fondant smoother. I   have try by hand but keeps breakng before I can achieve desire lenght:sad: what else can I do ? .I need to cover the following swirls on this dummy cake. I thank you in advance.

Soledad. :)

2 replies
mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 3

AYou can't use royal icing/buttercream to do the piping? If not, then you can try using two fondant smoothers to roll the fondant into long thin ropes. I have done this myself and it works well. You can add a little gumpaste to your fondant yo minimize breakage and add pliability. Roll your fondant into a log shape, then use the fondant smoothers to roll them longer on a mat.

If you can imagine your hands making ropes with fondant on a mat, then imagine using fondant smoothers instead. Pull the fondant gently with the smoothers to lengthen the ropes and achieve the desired thickness. You will get smooth fondant ropes with even thickness. Sorry, i hope you get what i'm describing! :) HTH

Faradaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faradaye Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 3

AI have seen people roll out long ropes of fondant using cake boards instead of fondant smothers.

I can't personally vouch for this method - but according to the electric interwebz it works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%