Is Paying To Enter Baking Contests The Norm?

Decorating By kblickster Updated 20 Jun 2014 , 6:53pm by bakernoob

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 12

I just think this is hysterical.  Got an email regarding a local contest.  Cupcake Battles.  Entry fee is 160.00 and you have to bake 500 mini cupcakes.  WHAT?????

http://www.livefreemagazine.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/bakers-registration-form-online.pdf

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 12

oh no "Registration for bakers and tasters has closed." there goes my big chance 

it's ironically sponsored by "live free" magazine-- live free but you can't enter the contest for free --

:lol:

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 12

No mention of prizes either...

And is it just me or does it look like you have to pay the fee for each "round" you enter?

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 12

Here's the rest of the story.  250.00 prize money.

http://www.livefreemagazine.org/cupcake-battles-2014/

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 12

kblickster~~Hysterical was a good word --this was an interesting post!  Since I was having a boring afternoon (putting off organizing all my bills---UGH!), I was looking for some diversion and, of course, came to Cake Central! 

Jarvus Hester, the event organizer, is apparently an Event Planner.   While the wording in the blurb about the Magazine sounds reasonable; it is really difficult to actually find anything that the "magazine" does or publishes online.  Going through the website, all I saw were readily available commercial ads for hotels and upscale destinations (like a travel magazine/blog) and links to events or t-shirts for sale for "fundraising", or infomercials designed like commercials for travel destinations.

In other words, although not technically a scam, this "Cupcake Festival", appears to be a money-making event planned by an event planner who hopes to get the money.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 19 Jun 2014 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 12

AReminds me of the yearly contest for "best _____“ in a town, which particular business is the best in it's category for each year. If those things were actually sponsored by entities that weren't media outlets, like ours is (local newspaper), I'd take it seriously. It's just a gimmick for the winners to buy advertisements proclaiming their title as best of, in the newspaper, that sponsors the event.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 3:28am
post #7 of 12

And don't get me going on the topic of Wedding Shows.  Several hundred $$ for a  table that's half width, spend several days getting the cake dummies made, buy a nice backdrop and flowers to decorate it, invest in two new tablecloths, pay to have a nice sign made, bribe a family member to help you move all the stuff into the hall and back out again, clear your calendar and don't accept any orders or taste test bookings the week before, bake, fill, ice and decorate a few hundred samples then they rush up to you with wide eyes and ask what your raffle gift is this year.................................Oh, PLEASE.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 4:07am
post #8 of 12

No kidding!

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 12

"DeniseNH" and "AZCouture":

I think that may be one of the reasons why my friend in the video business gave up doing weddings.

But back on topic: Hmm. $160 entry fee for a $250 prize. So the winner has a net gain of $90, and the event organizer has a net gain of $160 and 500 free cupcakes PER ENTRY.

Sounds like a great deal. For the event organizer.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

"DeniseNH" and "AZCouture":

I think that may be one of the reasons why my friend in the video business gave up doing weddings.

But back on topic: Hmm. $160 entry fee for a $250 prize. So the winner has a net gain of $90, and the event organizer has a net gain of $160 and 500 free cupcakes PER ENTRY.

Sounds like a great deal. For the event organizer

After you pay out all that money to actually make the cupcakes...and actually manage to win; the net benefit is still around -$100 or something like that. Score!

The sad thing is that there will probably be people flocking to enter this "contest"..I blame those Cupcake Wars type tv shows.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 12

Bingo.

And to add another kick in the shins, there are very few - if any bookings at the shows.  A lot later but never at the show where the brides are over stimulated by all the attention and things to look at.

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 20 Jun 2014 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 12

A local bakery here has a cake contest every year. It's just $50 to enter but the only reward is the title. LOL. The majority of the people that enter are small time hobby bakers or even teens just starting out but there are always 4 or 5 people that enter $300+ cakes!!!!! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%