Edible Printer Feedback Pls

Decorating By Seashopgirl Updated 25 Jun 2017 , 6:52am by rhallwalker

Seashopgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Seashopgirl Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 3:47am
post #1 of 14

What edible printer model are you currently using and do you like it? I'm looking at replacing my dead Epson with a Canon PIXMA MG5420 or MG5520. Pros? Cons?

13 replies
pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 6:23am
post #2 of 14

I use a Canon MG5320 and I really like it.  Most of the places I've looked for edible ink are mostly for Canon printers, so I'd stick with that brand.  I have had a few issues with getting the sheets to feed right, but I've learned how to make it work.  I think its a pretty easy printer to use, and refilling the ink is easy-although sometimes messy.  :)

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 6:26am
post #3 of 14

AI farm my edible printing out to the cake supply shop. :P

Seashopgirl Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 7:23am
post #4 of 14

@pastrygirls Thank you! 

@hbquikcomjamesl I print too much to farm it out! ;)

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 8:01am
post #5 of 14

I use the MG5520 and I have had no issues with it at all. My printers last me less than 2 years so when the MG5520 went on sale at Staples for $69 I bought 2.

I use the MG7120 for regular printing, and the ink cartridges (nonedible) that come with the MG5520 fit the MG7120 so that is an added bonus!

Seashopgirl Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 8:36am
post #6 of 14

@doramoreno62 how is the print quality? I see the only difference between the 5520 and the 5420 is the dpi. 

doramoreno62 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 9:01am
post #7 of 14

The print quality is great. I'm very happy with mine and it's very easy to use.

doramoreno62 Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 9:01am
post #8 of 14

And super easy to install too.

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seashopgirl 

@hbquikcomjamesl I print too much to farm it out! ;)

Then you're in an excellent position to continue doing it in-house, and you probably already know the first two rules of edible printing:

The first rule of edible printing is that you do not use the same printer for edible and conventional inks.

The second rule of edible printing is that you do NOT use the same printer for edible and conventional inks.

(And you still don't talk about Fight Club. And why do I keep alluding to a movie I've never actually seen?)

I, on the other hand, don't do enough to keep the printhead from clogging, or the cartridges from drying out. (Besides which, I refuse to own an inkjet, and I think it will probably be a long time before anybody develops edible laser toner, or edible Microdry ribbons (especially the latter, since Microdry technology is effectively dead).

Seashopgirl Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 14

@hbquikcomjamesl This was a dedicated machine for edible image printing that had never been introduced to regular ink. I appreciate the feedback and anyone else reading this, a super important thing to note! Edible printers are for edible printing only and edible ink only. :) The Epson I had in my retail cake decorating supply shop was dumped upside down (sideways and all around) by the movers when I moved cross country this past summer and wasn't stored in a climate control facility (even though we paid $1650 a month for one, thats a whole other story). As a result when you print the edible image sheet comes out saturated with edible ink. I've taken the printer apart with no luck of fixing the problem so it's time to cut my losses and move on. 

hbquikcomjamesl Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 14

Still, for the benefit of any newbies reading the thread, what both of us said about dedicated edible-ink-only printers cannot possibly be repeated enough times. Even one person getting sick because somebody, whether out of ignorance or out of indifference, neglected to follow that rule, is too many. (And I did say, "you probably already know the first two rules of edible printing.")

And now you also know that for anything as delicate as computer hardware, you probably want to remove the ink cartridges and pack and move it yourself, rather than trust it to a moving company. Yeef! Dumped upside-down. Ye vish, that's one of the worst I've heard!

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 18 Jun 2014 , 6:11pm
post #12 of 14

I have the Canon Pixma MG5320 and I'm very happy with it.  I've had it a couple of years and never a problem.  I will say that refilling the ink is something which should best be done with gloves, but that has nothing to do with the printer.

I recently had a problem with the printer not registering a full ink cartridge, but removing and cleaning the head was very very simple.  Unfortunately that didn't solve my problem, still was getting a message that my blue and cyan was empty when I had gotten very very messy filling up all the cartridges. (wear latex gloves).  I was quite frustrated because I'd not used my printer in some time (thus the need for ink) but I knew that I'd not damaged it either. Turns out, I had to simply wipe off the connector area where the cartridge makes contact with the cartridge housing and immediately those two cartridges were recognized and I was back in the printing business.

I definitely concur with the fact that my edible printer has never been exposed to regular ink, it is totally separate and housed in the bakery.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 28 Jun 2014 , 2:16am
post #13 of 14

The printers are pretty much the same.  Now a days, the dpi really makes no difference as the icing sheet can only handle so much saturation with ink and all edible printers have a good quality dpi.Either printer is a great choice, I would go with which one is less expensive. Because it has only a bottom feed, you must be diligent in printing as soon as you put the icing sheet in.  This has not been a problem for our customers so far who are using our Premium Icing Sheets.

rhallwalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhallwalker Posted 25 Jun 2017 , 6:52am
post #14 of 14

Hello All

In need of current regular/wide carriage printers to consider.  It has been some time since this discussion was broached.  Kindly share ideas for edible image printer in 2017. Thank you

rhallwalker

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%