Brush Emboidery

Decorating By jramjam Updated 5 Jul 2014 , 6:05pm by jramjam

jramjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jramjam Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 14

What recipe is the best for the royal icing you talented people use for this purpose?

13 replies
Rudd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rudd Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 14

I'm just a hobby baker, but when I made my cakes with brush embroidery I just used the same buttercream that I used to cover the cake with. They were covered in fondant, it may make a difference if you are strictly covering in buttercream though, but unfortunately I can't answer for that situation as I have only done the brush embroidery on fondant using buttercream.

jramjam Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudd 

I'm just a hobby baker, but when I made my cakes with brush embroidery I just used the same buttercream that I used to cover the cake with. They were covered in fondant, it may make a difference if you are strictly covering in buttercream though, but unfortunately I can't answer for that situation as I have only done the brush embroidery on fondant using buttercream.

Thanks Rudd....Did you add anything to the buttercream?  I've heard about adding a bit of corn syrup to give it a little elasticity and prevent it from tearing.  Did your's tear at all while you were piping?

Siany01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Siany01 Posted 11 Jun 2014 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 14

AFor RI you would add a small amount of piping gel to the RI to give it the elasticity you need to be able to brush with it without it breaking.

lanawith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanawith Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 4:04am
post #5 of 14

ABehold, this is my super dreamy RI recipe. It is perfect for everything from brush embroidery to covering cookies.

2.25 pounds powdered sugar (sifted) 1/3 cup meringue powder 6 oz water (if adding vanilla include that liquid in here) 2 tbsp light corn syrup

Put all ingredients in a stand mixer and mix on low for 8 mins.

This will produce a thick consistency RI. Adjust from this point to suit your needs :)

Rudd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rudd Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 14

Actually I didn't add anything to the buttercream, just used the straight out of the bowl of buttercream I frosted the cake with. The beauty of brush embroidery is that it is easy to correct any "mistakes" you might make by piping over or smoothing it out with your paintbrush. Mine may not be as professional as some, but I was pleased with the look. Here is a close up pic of one the cakes I did using straight buttercream. My piping skills aren't that great, but the brush effect kind of makes up for it, lol. Keep in mind this is only the second cake I've done with this effect also.

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 5:43pm
post #7 of 14

A

Original message sent by lanawith

Behold, this is my super dreamy RI recipe. It is perfect for everything from brush embroidery to covering cookies.

2.25 pounds powdered sugar (sifted) 1/3 cup meringue powder 6 oz water (if adding vanilla include that liquid in here) 2 tbsp light corn syrup

This will produce a thick consistency RI. Adjust from this point to suit your needs :)

How hard does this dry? I've been trying to find one that doesn't get too hard to flood my cookies with

lanawith Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 14

It does dry hard but has a nice working time, I think.  I use it to decorate my cookies.  I've attached an example of cookies I have made using this recipe. 

sweettia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettia Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 1:04am
post #9 of 14

AThose are gorgeous!

lanawith Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 2:43am
post #10 of 14

AThank you sweettia :)

jramjam Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 3:42am
post #11 of 14

A

Original message sent by lanawith

Behold, this is my super dreamy RI recipe. It is perfect for everything from brush embroidery to covering cookies.

Thank you so much for sharing your recipe! BTW your cookies.... GORGEOUS!

jramjam Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 3:44am
post #12 of 14

A

Original message sent by Rudd

Actually I didn't add anything to the buttercream, just used the straight out of the bowl of buttercream I frosted the cake with. The beauty of brush embroidery is that it is easy to correct any "mistakes" you might make by piping over or smoothing it out with your paintbrush. Mine may not be as professional as some, but I was pleased with the look. Here is a close up pic of one the cakes I did using straight buttercream. My piping skills aren't that great, but the brush effect kind of makes up for it, lol. Keep in mind this is only the second cake I've done with this effect also.

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3249154/] [/URL]

Thanks for the advice. Your cake is so pretty!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Jun 2014 , 7:00am
post #13 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by lanawith 

It does dry hard but has a nice working time, I think.  I use it to decorate my cookies.  I've attached an example of cookies I have made using this recipe. 

lanawith, those cookies are wonderful.  So well done! I've yet to be successful with the brush embroidery and appreciate yours.

jramjam Posted 5 Jul 2014 , 6:05pm
post #14 of 14

A

Original message sent by Siany01

For RI you would add a small amount of piping gel to the RI to give it the elasticity you need to be able to brush with it without it breaking.

Thank you Siany01! When you say 'add a small amount of piping gel' what ratio do you use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%