Friday Night Cake Club For 6/6/14

Decorating By catlharper Updated 15 Jun 2014 , 3:18am by autumnwind

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 6:38am
post #61 of 68

Wow! Came back in and found LOTS of posts! Here is a couple of photos of the cakes from this past weekend!

The "smash" cake was a 4 inch strawberry cake covered in vanilla buttercream.

The finished cake at the park all assembled! SHA1COL, the A is fondant that was allowed to dry for almost a week and then several coats of luster dust were used to make it that dark fuchsia color to match the baby's dress.

I'm gonna just touch base a teeny bit here...

Startingout! Wow..keep on going there! Great work!

Reen, LOVE the Vegas cake! How much fun is THAT!

Hope to see everyone here tomorrow night for the regular FNCC!

Cat

nanasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasmom Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 2:13pm
post #62 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by sha1col 

@nanasmom beautiful cake, I'm looking at this on my iPhone, so I can't tell if the green is airbrushed or a color or luster dust?

Neither :) It is fondant that I cut with a cutter and then cut the white fondant with a slightly smaller cutter and put it on top of the green.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 4:57pm
post #63 of 68

Ok, so I missed a LOT more than I thought I did...came back in today due to a reply from someone else and realized I'd missed TWO pages of cakes!

There were a LOT of really wonderful cakes this week! 

Matty! LOVE your Mario cake! Seriously "clean" work and it looks just amazing!

Gerle...yup...Cake Castle! That's where I shop. It's right next to my son's Dojo so very convenient for me and they can get me just about anything I need/want.

Rosie! Both of your cakes are lovely but the military one stole my heart. Good work on those!

Ana..I can NOT pick between your two cakes...both are just WOW! I love the delicacy of the yellow one and the Wizard of Oz is amazing!

GJ's Lady...LOL >LOL>LOL...love your "broken" cake...yes, it still tastes good! We had a graduation last night but couldn't do a cake for it since they had the party at a restaurant that had my great nephews favorite dessert. SIGH. Please tell me how you did your cap?

Sha1Col....love your popcorn!!! Did you stripe it or paint it or? I wish I could have seen it in person so I could figure out how you did the bag!

ccdcakes I sure hope you got an answer to your question. I think your cake should have been fine!

Luvmykids!! YUP...every time I try to wire they fall off. SIGH. I love your painted flower cake...is the bee 3D...it looks 3D! I love the cherry pie too. I made one once for my daughter, used a real pie pan, and she had no idea it was cake till I told her...TOO funny!

Jesi...you did those flowers???WOW...and here we are all talking about wiring...what is YOUR trick!?

Nanasmom...your cake is just lovely. So elegant looking!

Ok..I think I'm caught up now! LOL! See you all later tonight!

Cat

sha1col Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sha1col Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 6:27pm
post #64 of 68

A[@]catlharper[/@] thanks!!! the popcorn bucket was done with Rice Krispie treats and I painted the bag with icing gel and mixed in a little vodka to think it out. The popcorn was white fondant and then I took a little wilton buttercream yellow(?) and colored a separate piece of fondant. I roped the two colors together and gently blended but not too much. I wanted to make sure that the popcorn looked lightly coated with butter.

GJsLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GJsLady Posted 14 Jun 2014 , 1:34am
post #65 of 68

@catlharper, Thank you!  I couldn't stand the thought of throwing away a whole sheet cake so I decided to just have a little fun with it...lol For the base of the cap, I just cut a strip of gumpaste and wrapped it around a round cutter until it dried, and cut a gumpaste square for the top, then made my tassle and secured it with a gumpaste "button".

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 1:27am
post #66 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl 

Well, my mom's birthday was Wednesday, and this is what I came up with (Pillsbury "Dark Chocolate" mix with DH "Classic Chocolate" canned frosting:
14163216537_69a6464e55.jpg
Mom Birthday 2014.jpg by Tracker-Backer, on Flickr
Still "family style (in-pan), but this time with a border, to dress the edges where the cakes met the pans (and the border between frosted and naked sections), piped with a Wilton #18 star-tip.
Leaves (Wilton #67) were a bit sloppy, still, but (although not visible) now 5 per rose. Not really any room (or enough green frosting left) for stems. Once again, my kitchen cake (2/3 of a DH white cake mix, with whole eggs and 1/2 tsp of vanilla added, frosted in my usual dense BC [the recipe that's been on the back of the C&H powdered sugar box since before most of us were born]) was the guinea pig, albeit this time for the border.
14163360237_0dce639b55.jpg
Mom birthday kitchen cake 2014.jpg by Tracker-Backer, on Flickr
Used the pink and green that I'd made for Mothers Day (and froze, tip and all, after decorating those cakes).

i see solid improvement, james--love the borders! and your flowers and leaves look more confident, everything does--i like the pattern on the white icing--are the uniced sections on the chocolate for your dad--i like how you balanced the writing and the decor to the size you have iced--you are getting better and better -- you bought the flowers? did you make some of those?

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 3:00am
post #67 of 68

AFlowers came in a box marked "Wilton," set on hand-piped leaves. They were leftovers from Mothers Day (and I still have a couple of the daisy-looking things left). And then, yesterday, I was so rushed getting my own cake together (see this week's FNCC) that piped borders (or even nice straight edges) had to be jettisoned for want of time.

autumnwind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
autumnwind Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 3:18am
post #68 of 68

Kasey had a pool party for his 7th birthday.  Seemed like the perfect cake!

pool party 1/2 sheet, decorated Teddy Grahams, piping gel pool.

Chocolate 10" bottom tier, 1/2 cream color 1/2 terra cotta color buttercream, white cake top tier. Graduation cake for 3 kids. Used graham cracker crumbs in terra cotta color to make it look like stucco.  Peppers are fondant/gumpaste mix.

Graduation cake for 3, fiesta theme party.

Sorry I'm so late posting  for this week!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%