Cake Pricing Game!

Decorating By TopTierCakes4AllOccasions Updated 29 May 2014 , 5:44pm by SystemMod1

TopTierCakes4AllOccasions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TopTierCakes4AllOccasions Posted 29 May 2014 , 5:40am
post #1 of 11

ANAME THAT PRICE!

I started a game on my fan page on Facebook for clients, and decorators alike, to guess how much each custom cake listed actually cost.

You'll be surprised to see peoples responses. The cakes shown are from all over the country. Reva Alexander-Hawk was even in on the the posting. Check it out on my page and see if your own pricing will line up with the final cost of the cake. It's a really interesting read!

https://m.facebook.com/toptiercakesforalloccasions

Let me know your thoughts!!!

10 replies
Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 29 May 2014 , 6:45am
post #2 of 11

ALooks like fun! But, are the cake sizes listed? It would be hard to name a price otherwise.

TopTierCakes4AllOccasions Posted 29 May 2014 , 6:49am
post #3 of 11

AThey are not listed, most decorators will be able to guess size, not the clients. But even if the clients have the serving size, they have been WAY off base. I am hoping that by doing this game, we are educating the masses, and making it fun at the same time. It lets the decorators know where clients mindsets are, and lets the clients know what goes into baking. Not really for dead on accuracy. ;)

TopTierCakes4AllOccasions Posted 29 May 2014 , 6:52am
post #4 of 11

AAnd on some of the cakes, the sizes are listed in the picture....and even then...WAY off.

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 29 May 2014 , 7:24am
post #5 of 11

AIt's quite amusing some of the prices listed by ppl...Way off lol Great idea!

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 29 May 2014 , 9:41am
post #6 of 11

I got as far as the person who thought the minion cake should be $35 (or £maybe). Then I got really irritated and went off on my own little 'would you work for a full day or more for $/£35 including materials?' rant in my head, which is what I always want to say to the people I have telling me I that the cake that will require 10+ hours work should be £30.

That or 'Sod Off'. :-D 

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 29 May 2014 , 9:49am
post #7 of 11

Looks like a good idea to educate the masses in a fun way. I love your ruby slippers Top Tier!

TopTierCakes4AllOccasions Posted 29 May 2014 , 2:25pm
post #8 of 11

AAgreed! haha I listed under that a "If you, Jane Doe, make a cake..." thread. Explaining in breif detail what goes into cakes. Lots of folks have been sharing. It's gone TOTALLY viral. I'm am so amazed! 3 days ago, my numbers were at 1330. I got 400 new likes from this thread. It's UNREAL!!

TopTierCakes4AllOccasions Posted 29 May 2014 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 11

AThank you sweet! That is so kind! Please feel free to repost any of the game or "Jane Doe" thread you'd like. Repost anything you want...I am more than happy to help educate your crowd. I'll have another breakdown on friday!

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 29 May 2014 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 11

This is great!!!!  Coincidence, I started writing a mini-article for a bridal magazine a few weeks ago with the aim of dispelling the myths around cake decorating and simultaneously educating brides.  My first myth-buster was 'you can make it cheaper (and just as well) yourself'...the 'just as well' bit ended up being broken down into a separate question but the 'you can make it cheaper' bit was interesting as I added up all the ingredients and even very basic tools you would need for a 3-tier fondant-covered cake with a few roses.  Whether they would print it, I don't know (especially as these magazines seem to be the ones perpetuating many of the myths) but think i will give it a go anyway....I'm getting really frustrated at the looks of 'it doesn't cost that much to make a cake' and statements: "the magazine said I could buy store cakes and get a pro to decorate them' and 'I've read that if I get 3/4 dummy tiers it will be loads cheaper but still give me that wow factor'.  Grrrrrrr.  *pfft*

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 29 May 2014 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 11

This type of thread is not allowed.  Please do not start threads just to direct people to your Facebook page.  This thread is being deleted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%