Help

Decorating By blademanswife Updated 9 Jun 2014 , 3:20am by blademanswife

blademanswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blademanswife Posted 27 May 2014 , 12:02am
post #1 of 7

AI decided to make 2 small cakes with 1/4 inch of bc and covered with fondant(si) one I refrigerated the other was led out I then placed them outside in heat to see which o e withstood the heat as the party will be outside. The cakes were I. Shade. The refrigerated one was a minister fondant. My question is why is it both times I've made fondant cakes it seems there is no bc under the fondant. Is this norm or am I doing something wrong.[ATTACHMENT=1700]KINDLE_CAMERA_1398963203000.jpg (257k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

6 replies
SamanthaMayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamanthaMayne Posted 27 May 2014 , 12:40am
post #2 of 7

try trotting the cake and putting frosting between all 4 layers. don't be afraid to pile on the buttercream. Also, if you crum coat your cake, place it in the fridge for about 15-20 mins, until it's crusted then put another coat of buttercream that helps with the shape of your cake under the fondant as well. always make sure to let your cake chill until the buttercream is crusted to apply fondant. Fondant shouldn't be thicker than 1/4 of an inch.

blademanswife Posted 27 May 2014 , 12:49am
post #3 of 7

AThank you I will try that. And just to be sure, I should be seeing a layer of bitterness under fondant when it's sliced correct?

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 27 May 2014 , 12:55am
post #4 of 7

ASometimes it's easier to torte the cake when it's chilled. Your fondant is also very thick, I'd roll it a bit thinner. I'm not sure what your second question is but you should see a nice layer of BC underneath your fondant if that's what you wanted to know.

SamanthaMayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SamanthaMayne Posted 27 May 2014 , 1:30am
post #5 of 7

AYes the buttercream is normally thicker than the fondant

blademanswife Posted 27 May 2014 , 1:44am
post #6 of 7

AThank you all. I love this site. I didn't realize I had all the typos in my post lol.

blademanswife Posted 9 Jun 2014 , 3:20am
post #7 of 7

AThank you all for your replies. The cake was perfect I made a thicker layer of bc and rolled my fondant (SI) real thin. Refrigerated all the cakes in cardboard boxes with lids ajar over night. Transported in car 40 minutes to party at park 104 degrees I had no condensation, no sags or air bubbles and the cake sat for 2 hours before slicing. Tasted great as well! Posted pic to my profile....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%